Rome after Scipio Africanus - or what to read next

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2000
      Now that we are finishing up Hannibal soon and then occupy ourselves with
      Scipio Africanus for the rest of May and June, I'd like to plan ahead for the
      remainder of the year.

      Most of us are eager to read and discuss the highly entertaining "Masters of
      Rome" series by Colleen McCullough, and it looks like some former members and
      McCullough fans will come back for a second go-around on this. Since all
      books are thick ones, with many characters in them, from past experience each
      requires at least three chats -- thus with 5 books in print so far, this
      undertaking will occupy us for a number of months. Not considering an
      intermittent Stephen Saylor mystery or a bit of Cicero himself, as well as a
      summer hiatus, on which I will poll you in due courseā€¦ J

      I would have loved to find some real interesting non-fiction for the time
      period between Scipio and Marius, but there seems to be only Livy's "Rome and
      the Mediterranean", which might not be to everyone's taste, considering the
      minute details, and one biographical book on the Gracchi in print, "The
      Gracchi" by David Stockton, ISBN# 0198721056, which looks a bit dry to me.

      So, unless someone can recommend a truly fascinating book from the in between
      period, here are the proposed options:

      A. Livy; or
      B. Gracchi; or
      C. go directly to McCullough's "First Man in Rome"

      Your feed-back is greatly appricated!

      Irene
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/