Re: [Roman_History_Books] Hannibal Chat - Discussion Point

  • Jim Bloom
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2000
      --- In Roman_History_Books@egroups.com, "C. Gottselig"
      <eclectic@m...>
      wrote:
      > On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:31:30 EST, you wrote:
      > >
      > I thought I had ordered (via inter-library loan) the Lancel book,
      but
      > when it came it turned out to be the one by Leonard Cottrell,
      > Hannnibal: Enemy of Rome.
      >
      > Jim notes that he often makes undocumented assertions but I am not
      up
      > enough on the era to catch these. The author describes it as a
      > personal journey along the route of Hannibal and at times it reads
      > almost like a travelouge, these not being my favorite parts.

      I felt that Cottrell fails to refer back to any sources or
      contemporary scholarly opinion when he suggests battle sites, march
      routes, etc. at odds with Livy or Polybios, or where the sources are
      silent. It's like the official Israeli tour guide that I had on
      Masada. She was very knowledgeable regarding the "official" version
      without really talking about alternative theories etc. When I brought
      up some recent excavations and scholarship that contradicted her
      account ( a mis-reading of Josephus, according to recent
      scholarship),
      she refused to discuss it...waived me off, saying that of course
      there
      are a hundred theories and she just can't get off track like that.

      Cottrell struck me the same way. He put great stock in the fact that
      he "was there" and sometimes decided to introduce the ancient
      sources,
      but at other times he simply went on a ramble.

      You will notice a big difference when you read Lancel. He manages to
      be all at once an entertaining storyteller, a thought-provoking
      raconteur AND a scholarly prof. Likewise Baker is shrewd, learned,
      but
      not overbearing.