RE: [Roman_History_Books] Reading List for 2008 - Suggestions requested

  • nemesis eudaimonos
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      We had discussed reading Rosemary Sutcliff's Young Adult fiction.

      N.S. Gill

      About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
      http://ancienthistory.about.com

      Gear up for Halo� 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
      http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1
    • bingleyausten
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        Medicus is already available here in paperback -- at least it was
        itpaperback when I saw it back in April. I nearly bought it but felt
        mildly sceptical about it, having been disappointed by the Germanus
        one we read earlier in the year. Still I'm willing to give it a go.

        I have got another book sitting in my TBR pile which I got cheap in a
        sale: "The Eagle in the Snow" by Walter Breem. It's a novel supposed
        to be the memoirs of the commander of one of the Rhine legions when
        the Germanic tribes crossed the Rhine in 406.

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
        <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

        > Salvete!
        >
        > We'll have to decide on a reading list for 2008 soon!
        >
        > We start out with the final section of Gibbon, originally re-scheduled
        > for January from this year. I'd like to move that to February because
        > Bingley , our resident Gibbon expert, won't be available in January.
        >
        > So keep the suggestions coming.
        >
        > I myself would like to discuss T.J. Cornell's immensely readable "The
        > Beginnings of Rome."
        >
        > Maybe at one point we can read Jim Duffy's new novel in his Gladiators
        > of the Empire series, "The Fight for Rome," and he'll join us again for
        > the chat. My review is coming up soon. (All my work has been delayed
        > because of ongoing computer problems.)
        >
        > Another recent novel that I like is "Medicus" by Ruth Downie, set in
        > Roman Britain at around the time of the death of Trajan. IIRC, Vicki has
        > read the book also. A paperback edition is coming out soon, Amazon has
        > already a pre-order listed. Vicki, could you please comment on this?
        >
        > Valete,

      • lennep95
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          Medicus is very different from the Rosemary Rowe books.

          Irene

          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "bingleyausten"
          <bingleyausten@...> wrote:

          > Medicus is already available here in paperback -- at least it was
          > itpaperback when I saw it back in April. I nearly bought it but felt
          > mildly sceptical about it, having been disappointed by the Germanus
          > one we read earlier in the year. Still I'm willing to give it a go.
          >
          > I have got another book sitting in my TBR pile which I got cheap in a
          > sale: "The Eagle in the Snow" by Walter Breem. It's a novel supposed
          > to be the memoirs of the commander of one of the Rhine legions when
          > the Germanic tribes crossed the Rhine in 406.
          >

          > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
          > <irenesbooks@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Salvete!
          > >
          > > We'll have to decide on a reading list for 2008 soon!
          > >
          > > We start out with the final section of Gibbon, originally re-scheduled
          > > for January from this year. I'd like to move that to February because
          > > Bingley , our resident Gibbon expert, won't be available in January.
          > >
          > > So keep the suggestions coming.
          > >
          > > I myself would like to discuss T.J. Cornell's immensely readable "The
          > > Beginnings of Rome."
          > >
          > > Maybe at one point we can read Jim Duffy's new novel in his Gladiators
          > > of the Empire series, "The Fight for Rome," and he'll join us
          again for
          > > the chat. My review is coming up soon. (All my work has been delayed
          > > because of ongoing computer problems.)
          > >
          > > Another recent novel that I like is "Medicus" by Ruth Downie, set in
          > > Roman Britain at around the time of the death of Trajan. IIRC,
          Vicki has
          > > read the book also. A paperback edition is coming out soon, Amazon has
          > > already a pre-order listed. Vicki, could you please comment on this?
          > >
          > > Valete,
          > >
          > > Irene

        • Vicki Cline
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
            I liked Medicus a lot. The main character was very interesting.