Reading List for 2008 - Suggestions requested

  • lennep95
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
      Salvete!

      We'll have to decide on a reading list for 2008 soon!

      We start out with the final section of Gibbon, originally re-scheduled
      for January from this year. I'd like to move that to February because
      Bingley , our resident Gibbon expert, won't be available in January.

      So keep the suggestions coming.

      I myself would like to discuss T.J. Cornell's immensely readable "The
      Beginnings of Rome."

      Maybe at one point we can read Jim Duffy's new novel in his Gladiators
      of the Empire series, "The Fight for Rome," and he'll join us again for
      the chat. My review is coming up soon. (All my work has been delayed
      because of ongoing computer problems.)

      Another recent novel that I like is "Medicus" by Ruth Downie, set in
      Roman Britain at around the time of the death of Trajan. IIRC, Vicki has
      read the book also. A paperback edition is coming out soon, Amazon has
      already a pre-order listed. Vicki, could you please comment on this?

      Valete,

    • Beverly & Ian Jennings
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
        I have read part of Medicus as well and would like to add it to the list!
        I agree on Jim Duffy's new novel. How about another Colleen McCullough?
        Maybe a biography such as the latest one on Augustus or Caesar. The Caesar biography is massive.

        Just some random thoughts on a Friday night.

        Heloise

        Beverly & Ian Jennings
        E-mail: bjennings3@...
[...]

      • nemesis eudaimonos
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
          We had discussed reading Rosemary Sutcliff's Young Adult fiction.

          N.S. Gill

          About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
          http://ancienthistory.about.com

          Gear up for Halo� 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
          http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1
        • bingleyausten
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
            Medicus is already available here in paperback -- at least it was
            itpaperback when I saw it back in April. I nearly bought it but felt
            mildly sceptical about it, having been disappointed by the Germanus
            one we read earlier in the year. Still I'm willing to give it a go.

            I have got another book sitting in my TBR pile which I got cheap in a
            sale: "The Eagle in the Snow" by Walter Breem. It's a novel supposed
            to be the memoirs of the commander of one of the Rhine legions when
            the Germanic tribes crossed the Rhine in 406.

            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
            <irenesbooks@...> wrote:

            > Salvete!
            >
            > We'll have to decide on a reading list for 2008 soon!
            >
            > We start out with the final section of Gibbon, originally re-scheduled
            > for January from this year. I'd like to move that to February because
            > Bingley , our resident Gibbon expert, won't be available in January.
            >
            > So keep the suggestions coming.
            >
            > I myself would like to discuss T.J. Cornell's immensely readable "The
            > Beginnings of Rome."
            >
            > Maybe at one point we can read Jim Duffy's new novel in his Gladiators
            > of the Empire series, "The Fight for Rome," and he'll join us again for
            > the chat. My review is coming up soon. (All my work has been delayed
            > because of ongoing computer problems.)
            >
            > Another recent novel that I like is "Medicus" by Ruth Downie, set in
            > Roman Britain at around the time of the death of Trajan. IIRC, Vicki has
            > read the book also. A paperback edition is coming out soon, Amazon has
            > already a pre-order listed. Vicki, could you please comment on this?
            >
            > Valete,

          • lennep95
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
              Medicus is very different from the Rosemary Rowe books.

              Irene

              --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "bingleyausten"
              <bingleyausten@...> wrote:

              > Medicus is already available here in paperback -- at least it was
              > itpaperback when I saw it back in April. I nearly bought it but felt
              > mildly sceptical about it, having been disappointed by the Germanus
              > one we read earlier in the year. Still I'm willing to give it a go.
              >
              > I have got another book sitting in my TBR pile which I got cheap in a
              > sale: "The Eagle in the Snow" by Walter Breem. It's a novel supposed
              > to be the memoirs of the commander of one of the Rhine legions when
              > the Germanic tribes crossed the Rhine in 406.
              >

              > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
              > <irenesbooks@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Salvete!
              > >
              > > We'll have to decide on a reading list for 2008 soon!
              > >
              > > We start out with the final section of Gibbon, originally re-scheduled
              > > for January from this year. I'd like to move that to February because
              > > Bingley , our resident Gibbon expert, won't be available in January.
              > >
              > > So keep the suggestions coming.
              > >
              > > I myself would like to discuss T.J. Cornell's immensely readable "The
              > > Beginnings of Rome."
              > >
              > > Maybe at one point we can read Jim Duffy's new novel in his Gladiators
              > > of the Empire series, "The Fight for Rome," and he'll join us
              again for
              > > the chat. My review is coming up soon. (All my work has been delayed
              > > because of ongoing computer problems.)
              > >
              > > Another recent novel that I like is "Medicus" by Ruth Downie, set in
              > > Roman Britain at around the time of the death of Trajan. IIRC,
              Vicki has
              > > read the book also. A paperback edition is coming out soon, Amazon has
              > > already a pre-order listed. Vicki, could you please comment on this?
              > >
              > > Valete,
              > >
              > > Irene

            • Vicki Cline
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
                I liked Medicus a lot. The main character was very interesting.