Re: [Roman_History_Books] Check out this post: How thuggish were the Romans?

  • Richard Dorsey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2007
      I then sent my reply to your email, or thought I did
      and it came to me, so I am lost. If you already have
      the following forget it.The Roman ethos was founded on
      piety. In its original sense, piety, was doing what
      the head (or father) of the family ordered. As head
      priest of the family, the father learned the rituals
      for appeasing the spirits who made all things work or
      not work. Following the rituals was the correct way
      to do things. Piety was following the father's
      without diviation. Roman culture was a manifestation
      of piety as a society of farmer warriors. A triumph
      was the ultimate recognition of piety, but as all
      things are in constant change, the ritual of a triumph
      was affected by myriad of interpretations. Along the
      way, some participants were thuggish, but by the end
      of the Republic, most Romans had no idea of the
      original intent of any ritual. To judge them as thugs
      by our value system is to reason unjustly. Putting on
      a good show in a show is a whole different ball of
      wax. The first gladiatorial shows were funereal
      affairs. Politics and elections skewed the show to a
      business. Human behavior demanded the next act be
      more interesting than the last and had more to do with
      how the participants acted than their cultural morays.

      http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2007/05/how_thuggish_we.html

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.