Re: [SPAM] [Roman_History_Books] "Are We Rome?: The Fall of an Empire and the Fate of America"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2007
      "The only sure thing that can be said about the past is that anyone who can remember Santayana's maxim is condemned to repeat it. As a result, the danger of not understanding the lessons of history is matched by the danger of using simplistic historical analogies. Those who have learned the lessons of Munich square off against those who have learned the lessons of Vietnam, and then they both invoke the bread-and-circus days of the overstretched Roman empire in an attempt to sound even more subtle and profound."

      Walter Isaacson, NYT Review (on the whole favorable)
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/books/review/Isaacson-t.html?ex=1336622400&en=de598efa4b06e930&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink