Re: [SPAM] [Roman_History_Books] new to group. Need for recommendation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2007
      You might find some answers here:

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist11.htm#general
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist12.htm#general

      and here: http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_waylife.htm

      Roman History Books and More (Blog)
      http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/
      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      From: Larissa
      To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:21 PM
      Subject: [SPAM] [Roman_History_Books] new to group. Need for recommendation

      Could someone recommend books about everyday life of the ancient
      Romans?
      While being in the yahoogroup Ecclesia Antinoi I realized that I have
      to continue my study, so, at present I study a history reading books
      on the subject; and recently I read two books: the textbook "History
      of Ancient Rome", and "The Life of Antoninus Heliogabalus" by Aelius
      Lampridius. The latter book proved to be an unexpectedly simple
      reading, and I liked it very much, though I'd argue with the author
      of the book.
      Especially I'm interested in learning of everyday life of the ancient
      Romans. If I had titles of the books on the subject I could search
      the books in the Net. My favourite ancient writer is Marcus Valerius
      Martial, because he narrated of everyday life mainly and not about
      historical events only. While reading his fine epigrams I was
      interested in some questions, for example: how the Roman public
      libraries did look like? Had the ancient Romans the words of address
      to a stranger, equivalent for the English modern day words "Mr."
      and "Mrs."? I understand that the Romans addressed to their
      friends: "My friend!" and a servant addressed to his/her master: "O,
      my lord!" And what about addressing to a stranger? It is most
      interesting, and unfortunately I could not understand it reading
      Martial's writings.

      Larissa