new to group. Need for recommendation

  • Larissa
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2007
      Could someone recommend books about everyday life of the ancient
      Romans?
      While being in the yahoogroup Ecclesia Antinoi I realized that I have
      to continue my study, so, at present I study a history reading books
      on the subject; and recently I read two books: the textbook "History
      of Ancient Rome", and "The Life of Antoninus Heliogabalus" by Aelius
      Lampridius. The latter book proved to be an unexpectedly simple
      reading, and I liked it very much, though I'd argue with the author
      of the book.
      Especially I'm interested in learning of everyday life of the ancient
      Romans. If I had titles of the books on the subject I could search
      the books in the Net. My favourite ancient writer is Marcus Valerius
      Martial, because he narrated of everyday life mainly and not about
      historical events only. While reading his fine epigrams I was
      interested in some questions, for example: how the Roman public
      libraries did look like? Had the ancient Romans the words of address
      to a stranger, equivalent for the English modern day words "Mr."
      and "Mrs."? I understand that the Romans addressed to their
      friends: "My friend!" and a servant addressed to his/her master: "O,
      my lord!" And what about addressing to a stranger? It is most
      interesting, and unfortunately I could not understand it reading
      Martial's writings.

      Larissa
    • jacklifton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2007
        There's a scholarly book called "Latin forms of address" that was published
        in the last couple of years by a professor at Columbia that will give you as
        good an answer as you are likely ever to get on how Romans addressed each other
        both formally and informally in Latin.

        I would like to recommend a book by the late Keith Hopkins called "A World
        Full of Gods." It's an adventure in Pompeii before the eruption. The narrators
        are two twentieth century students who have been transported through time and
        are reporting on daily life in Flavian Pompeii. It's very good, because Keith
        Hopkins was a great scholar and teacher.

        Jack Lifton