Re: Digest Number 10

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4 6:39 PM
      Jackie, the criteria of selecting a book are as follows:

      1. Going chronologically through the history of Rome. This could be fiction,
      historical mysteries, nonfiction, and ancient historians. As we started
      originally at the decline of the Republic, we will eventually - and probably
      soon - go back to the beginning of Rome. We try to alternate between fiction
      and nonfiction, as some members prefer to read fiction only, and others are
      more serious scholars.

      2. The books must be either readily available in the public libraries (I
      usually run a search on a site that has all my State's libraries on it, to
      see how many have the book), or online and in the bookstores at a reasonable
      cost.

      I generally search first in the online bookstores for any books from a given
      period (plus what I own myself) and also look for members to make
      suggestions. I've had even strangers e-mail me with recommendations...

      Then I search for books and online e-texts that could provide background
      information. An example: When we read "The Memoirs of Cleopatra", some of us
      also read the Cleopatra biography by Michael Grant. At another point in
      time, we looked up relevant time periods in Josephus' "War of the Jews".

      You get my drift... You can find the books we've read, related literature,
      and a few books we discovered later on, at
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist1a, or, if your machine is fast
      enough, at http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist1, which includes the book
      cover graphics.

      Somebody else also alerted me to the Hannibal book, and I will definitely
      take a look at it. I bought the novels a while ago, but have not yet read
      them.