Hi, here are some discussion points for Wednesday's chat:
However, there have been intermittent problems with the xoom.com
server and you may not get at the page, so I post the list here too:
1. Do you like the book? Is it satisfactory reading? Why? Or why not?
2. What is your opinion of Leckie's writing style?
3. Do you think the amount of gore presented is necessary for the
4. Hannibal: Is the Hannibal character what you expected? Can you
indentify with him? Was he destined to loose in the end?
5. Others: What do you think of the characterization of Hasdrubal
6. Leckie admits to having taken "liberties" with history -- as
fiction writers do by the nature of the beast. Do you think he may
have overdone it?
7. What nonfiction books dealing with Hannibal have you read? Where
they helpful? Would you like to discuss them?
8. For the military history experts: Is the military aspect presented
well? What do you think of the story of crossing the Alps as imagined
in the book?
9. Do you get a good picture of the time of Hannibal?
10. What is your opinion of Hannibal's decision(s) not to go for Rome?
11. Can Hannibal be compared to Pyrrhus?