Re: [Roman_History_Books] Hannibal Chat - Discussion Point

  • C. Gottselig
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14 1:21 PM
      On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:31:30 EST, you wrote:

      >It would also be nice if you could let me know what nonfiction book(s) if any
      >you have read on Hannibal and the Punic Wars. Jim, you are exempt here... ;-)
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Irene
      Hello Irene and fellow members,

      A little late responding to this but I just finished my first
      non-fiction on Hannibal and thought I would post.

      I thought I had ordered (via inter-library loan) the Lancel book, but
      when it came it turned out to be the one by Leonard Cottrell,
      Hannnibal: Enemy of Rome.

      Jim notes that he often makes undocumented assertions but I am not up
      enough on the era to catch these. The author describes it as a
      personal journey along the route of Hannibal and at times it reads
      almost like a travelouge, these not being my favorite parts. The only
      error I caught was a very poor description of the Roman political
      system.

      I now have the two by Lancel on order and look forward to them.

      Carol (eclectic)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
        Hello, all!

        As you know, the first discussion of Ross Leckie's book "Hannibal" (through
        Chapter IV) is coming up on Wednesday, including a general discussion on this
        fascinating and elusive figure, Hannibal, and his era.

        I'm collecting discussion points right now and would appreciate your input.
        You may reply here or e-mail me at IrenesBooks@....

        I'd like to post the first points on the website by Sunday evening.

        It would also be nice if you could let me know what nonfiction book(s) if any
        you have read on Hannibal and the Punic Wars. Jim, you are exempt here... ;-)

        Thanks!

        Irene
      • Jim Bloom
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12 4:27 PM
          --- In Roman_History_Books@egroups.com, "C. Gottselig"
          <eclectic@m...>
          wrote:
          > On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:31:30 EST, you wrote:
          > >
          > I thought I had ordered (via inter-library loan) the Lancel book,
          but
          > when it came it turned out to be the one by Leonard Cottrell,
          > Hannnibal: Enemy of Rome.
          >
          > Jim notes that he often makes undocumented assertions but I am not
          up
          > enough on the era to catch these. The author describes it as a
          > personal journey along the route of Hannibal and at times it reads
          > almost like a travelouge, these not being my favorite parts.

          I felt that Cottrell fails to refer back to any sources or
          contemporary scholarly opinion when he suggests battle sites, march
          routes, etc. at odds with Livy or Polybios, or where the sources are
          silent. It's like the official Israeli tour guide that I had on
          Masada. She was very knowledgeable regarding the "official" version
          without really talking about alternative theories etc. When I brought
          up some recent excavations and scholarship that contradicted her
          account ( a mis-reading of Josephus, according to recent
          scholarship),
          she refused to discuss it...waived me off, saying that of course
          there
          are a hundred theories and she just can't get off track like that.

          Cottrell struck me the same way. He put great stock in the fact that
          he "was there" and sometimes decided to introduce the ancient
          sources,
          but at other times he simply went on a ramble.

          You will notice a big difference when you read Lancel. He manages to
          be all at once an entertaining storyteller, a thought-provoking
          raconteur AND a scholarly prof. Likewise Baker is shrewd, learned,
          but
          not overbearing.