Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Books for 2007 Chats

  • Beverly & Ian Jennings
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13 6:17 PM
      Those are indeed great links. Wow - I admit I never thought that Libertus would find his long-lost wife. What thoughts that puts into my head.

      Here's another food for thought. I just bought a book on Pompeii at a Barnes and Noble super sale table, 3 books for $9.98. Anyway, there is a picture of what the author claims is an excavated stirrup. I know this brings up the 'great stirrup controversy', but I thought that stirrups weren't well known in the west in 79 A.D. I could be wrong however!
      Any thoughts?

      Beverly (aka Heloise)

      E-mail: bjennings3@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15 4:54 PM
        Gillian Roberts in "Island of Ghosts" writes that Sarmatians in the 1st century B.C. (!) were using stirrups, according to grave goods found in tombs near the Sea of Azov, and she cites M.I. Rostovtzeff (Iranians and Greeks in South Russia), W.W. Tarn (Hellenistic Military and Naval Development) and T. Sulimirski (The Sarmatians).