RE: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Books for 2007 Chats

  • Cline, Vicki
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
      Thanks for the links.

      Here's another suggestion - The Legatus Mystery by Rosemary Rowe.
      Here's the blurb from Amazon.

      "Reunited at last with his long-lost wife, Libertus returns to Glevum;
      but his new-found happiness is rudely interrupted by the news that a
      visiting Roman ambassador has been murdered in the temple of the
      Imperial cult. Events take a bizarre and chilling turn when the body
      disappears, and a superstitious terror grips the town when unearthly
      wails are heard coming from the temple and bloodstains begin to appear
      as if from nowhere... "

      There's a lot of interesting stuff about priests and Roman religion.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
        Those are indeed great links. Wow - I admit I never thought that Libertus would find his long-lost wife. What thoughts that puts into my head.

        Here's another food for thought. I just bought a book on Pompeii at a Barnes and Noble super sale table, 3 books for $9.98. Anyway, there is a picture of what the author claims is an excavated stirrup. I know this brings up the 'great stirrup controversy', but I thought that stirrups weren't well known in the west in 79 A.D. I could be wrong however!
        Any thoughts?

        Beverly (aka Heloise)

        E-mail: bjennings3@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
          Gillian Roberts in "Island of Ghosts" writes that Sarmatians in the 1st century B.C. (!) were using stirrups, according to grave goods found in tombs near the Sea of Azov, and she cites M.I. Rostovtzeff (Iranians and Greeks in South Russia), W.W. Tarn (Hellenistic Military and Naval Development) and T. Sulimirski (The Sarmatians).