Reflections on a literary dispute between Lindsey Davis and Simon Scarrow

  • jacklifton1729
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
      I saw, earlier this summer, a post, I believe on Lindsey Davis' web
      site, in which she said that shye had resolved the issue between her
      and Simon Scarrow over his using or referring top her Falco character
      in one of his Eagle series that follows the adventures of a young
      centurion and his mentor, a centurion of "normal" age, as they follow
      Vespasian through his career. The series began in Britain and now, in
      the latest book, the two are in Jerusalem in 45 or 46 CE.

      I know that Irene doesn't like controversy, and that she loves
      Lindsey Davis' work, but having read the total output of both authors
      up to their latest books I have not found, or, perhaps, noticed any
      mention of Marcus Didius Falco in Scarrow's works, so can one of you
      pleasse point me to the "mention or use."?

      The note by Lindsey davis that I did read was very condescending
      toward's Scarrow's ability, as I recall. In fact he is the better
      writer by far, and I think that MS Davis needs to consult her
      therapist or clergyman about issues of ego when she says that prior
      to being made aware of the issue she had not heard of Mr. Scarrow or
      his literary works. Scarrow's knowledge of ancient Rome's military
      history and our contemporary schlarly view of life in the legions
      seems to me to be profound. Whenever in reading historical fiction I
      come accross something that I did not know or did not think of for
      myself I make a mental note. My notes from Scarrow's works are
      extensive.

      As a wannabe fiction author I keep abreast of the best writing in the
      periods of interest to me. When I want to visualize ancient Roman
      Italy in the final century of the western Empire I channel the
      thoughts of Albert Noyer as he describes the adventures and life of a
      physician and his wife in the imperial household of the time. When i
      want to visualize the mid-first century political life and military
      campaigns of the empire I recall passages from Simon Scarrow.

      I sincerely believe that Lindsey Davis is an entertaining writer, but
      not in the league of the two writers I name above.

      Jack Lifton
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
        Jack,

        As far as I know, Simon Scarrow used Falco and Helena as chracters in the novel in question. Apart from the fact that he did not ask Davis's permission, he totally distorted the the characters as they are in the Falco series, according to Davis and I have no reason to disbelieve her.

        Further, AFAIK, Scarrow did remove the characters from the novel. Thus you can't find them.

        In my opinion, what Scarrow did, was inexcusable, and Davis should have sued the pants of him...it has nothing to do with her ego. Imagine someone would take characters from a novel of yours into his without your knowledge or approval...

        I do like controversy, BTW, but limited to the subjects of this Yahoo group, i.e. Roman history and related books.

        And I would never, ever put Scarrow in league with our friend Al Noyer, Scarrow is much too shallow. I've read some of his books, but have given up.

        Nor would I put Scarrow in league with Davis, Wishart, Saylor, etc. But I guess that's personal preference. I do know that Davis rubs some people the wrong way.

        :-)

        Roman History Books and More (Blog)
        http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/
        Member of Literature Reading Circle