Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Recommendation request

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
      OOPS!

      Not yours... Got you mixed up with another author...

      :(

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
        I *love* this book!!! You make readers feel like they're in the arena
        and various other place. Few writers capture the feel of ancient Rome
        as well as you do. When does the next volume come out (I gather it's
        the first in a series).

        Best,
        Sally

        At 12:40 AM +0000 4/25/06, Jim D wrote:
        >Masae:
        >
        >I don't know how many other authors are members here, but if I may be
        >so crass, you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
        >yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
        >not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
        >the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
        >gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it. Got a good review by Irene here
        >at Roman History Books, Publisher's Weekly, and some kind words from
        >other ancient-world writers like John Maddox Roberts and Nick
        >Nicastro.
        >
        >Don't mean to be so self-promoting, but if someone asks for a
        >suggestion on an ancient Rome novel, I can't help but toss my own
        >labor of love into the ring. Thanks for indulging me.
        >
        >--Jim Duffy

      • Masae Ueno
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
          Dear Group,

          Thank you for your replies.

          Irene wrote:

          > The Williams book will serve the purposes.

          Good, I'll order that one, then.

          Vicki wrote:

          > I enjoyed "Augustus" by Williams, and have just started on
          > "Augustus" by
          > Allan Massie, it's good so far.
          >
          > "Three's Company" by Alfred Duggan is about the Triumvirate from
          > Lepidus' point of view. I really liked it, but you may have a hard
          > time
          > finding it as it was published in 1958.

          That sounds great. Fortunately I could locate "Three's Company" at
          our local library and placed hold at once. Thank you for the
          information.

          > And I assume you know about the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor
          > and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts - both are mystery
          > series set
          > in the time of Casear.

          The SPQR series is still an uncharted territory. I'll check that out,
          too.

          Jim wrote:

          > you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
          > yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
          > not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
          > the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
          > gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it.

          Most definitely. I've ordered the book, and enjoyed your "Gladiators
          & Hollywood: When Will They Get It Right?" posted at Amazon. I was a
          bit frustrated, though, by your courteous assessment of "Gladiator"
          there. ;-)

          -Masae
        • Jim D
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
            I'll address all three comments in one fell swoop here...

            Sally:

            Thanks for the kind words about Sand of the Arena. Glad you enjoyed
            the book. Coincidentally, I just delivered Book 2 (Fight For Rome) to
            the publisher a few days ago. The release date was originally set for
            October 2006, but I hear they might postpone it a few months. I think
            the paperback version of Book 1 may be coming out around the same
            time, so perhaps they don't want the two to interfere with each other
            (?).

            Based on some of the posts here a few weeks ago, Book 2 would
            probably also interest a few folks on this board. It takes place
            during AD 69, the Year of the Four Emperors. The primary gladiator
            characters from Sand of the Arena are "recruited" to fight as an
            auxiliary unit for Otho under Macer. I've taken all the key events of
            the year and woven the characters into various roles in those events.
            Anyone who knows the story of the Otho/Vitellius/Vespasian chain of
            events will probably get a kick out of this novelized version.

            ---
            Irene:

            Sorry to hear that it wasn't Sand of the Arena up for discussion. I'd
            love to sit in on any such discussion of Sand. Always good to hear
            feedback directly from readers-- especially readers like this who
            know their stuff! If you do schedule it anytime soon, please let me
            know.

            ---
            Masae:

            Thanks for ordering the book. I hope you enjoy it as much as Sally &
            Irene. Regarding the "courteous assessment" of the film "Gladiator",
            I have to say that any high profile film that increases interest and
            awareness in ancient Rome is okay by me. Also, since I have a film
            and television background, I did appreciate the "spectacle" of it
            all. However, as we all know, the history was way off, and certainly
            the technical aspects of the gladiator fights (armor, weapons,
            pairings, etc. etc) was also out in left field. But I look at it as a
            springboard to spur further discussion on the topic.

            Thanks for everyone's feedback.

            --Jim Duffy

            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Sally Winchester

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
              Jim,

              looking forward to the next book. Please keep me in mind again for a review
              copy.