Re: Recommendation request

  • lennep95
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
      Sorry it took so long to reply.

      The Williams book will serve the purposes.

      For a list of fiction, go to
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

      Also, this page has some book reviews:
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_articles.htm

      Enjoy!

      Irene

      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Masae Ueno <mueno@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I have lurked for quite a while, but decided to say hi and thank you
      > for great reading suggestions and reviews. After enjoyed "Old Bones"
      > a lot, I finished "Sejanus" and now waiting for "Ovid" to arrive - I
      > know I'm going backward, but plan to fill in the rest of the Corvinus
      > series as well.
      >
      > So far my favorites historical fictions based on Ancient Rome are the
      > Masters of Rome series and the two Claudius volumes by Graves. My
      > question is, could I have recommendations for a couple of good
      > fictions to fill in the gap in between the two? I'm currently too
      > impatient to wait for Ms. McCollough's "Anthony and Cleopatra" to
      > come out. Will "Augustus" by John Edward Williams serve the purposes?
      >
      > Best regards, -Masae

    • Cline, Vicki
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
        I enjoyed "Augustus" by Williams, and have just started on "Augustus" by
        Allan Massie, it's good so far.

        "Three's Company" by Alfred Duggan is about the Triumvirate from
        Lepidus' point of view. I really liked it, but you may have a hard time
        finding it as it was published in 1958. Actually, I see on Amazon that
        it's been reprinted as a paperback.

        And I assume you know about the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor
        and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts - both are mystery series set
        in the time of Casear.

        wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I have lurked for quite a while, but decided to say hi and thank you
        > for great reading suggestions and reviews. After enjoyed "Old Bones"
        > a lot, I finished "Sejanus" and now waiting for "Ovid" to arrive - I
        > know I'm going backward, but plan to fill in the rest of the Corvinus
        > series as well.
        >
        > So far my favorites historical fictions based on Ancient Rome are the
        > Masters of Rome series and the two Claudius volumes by Graves. My
        > question is, could I have recommendations for a couple of good
        > fictions to fill in the gap in between the two? I'm currently too
        > impatient to wait for Ms. McCollough's "Anthony and Cleopatra" to come

        > out. Will "Augustus" by John Edward Williams serve the purposes?
        >
        > Best regards, -Masae

      • Jim D
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
          Masae:

          I don't know how many other authors are members here, but if I may be
          so crass, you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
          yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
          not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
          the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
          gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it. Got a good review by Irene here
          at Roman History Books, Publisher's Weekly, and some kind words from
          other ancient-world writers like John Maddox Roberts and Nick
          Nicastro.

          Don't mean to be so self-promoting, but if someone asks for a
          suggestion on an ancient Rome novel, I can't help but toss my own
          labor of love into the ring. Thanks for indulging me.

          --Jim Duffy

          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Cline, Vicki" <vlc2@...>
          wrote:

          > I enjoyed "Augustus" by Williams, and have just started
          on "Augustus" by
          > Allan Massie, it's good so far.
          >
          > "Three's Company" by Alfred Duggan is about the Triumvirate from
          > Lepidus' point of view. I really liked it, but you may have a hard
          time
          > finding it as it was published in 1958. Actually, I see on Amazon
          that
          > it's been reprinted as a paperback.
          >
          > And I assume you know about the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven
          Saylor
          > and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts - both are mystery
          series set
          > in the time of Casear.
          >
          > Vicki

        • lennep95
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
            Jim,

            it so happens that we will discuss your novel in our online chats on
            June 21 and July 5.

            It would be great if you could join us one night! We have never had an
            author before!

            Irene

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
              OOPS!

              Not yours... Got you mixed up with another author...

              :(

              > I don't know how many other authors are members here, but if I may be
              > so crass, you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
              > yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
              > not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
              > the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
              > gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it. Got a good review by Irene here
              > at Roman History Books, Publisher's Weekly, and some kind words from
              > other ancient-world writers like John Maddox Roberts and Nick
              > Nicastro.
              >
              > Don't mean to be so self-promoting, but if someone asks for a
              > suggestion on an ancient Rome novel, I can't help but toss my own
              > labor of love into the ring. Thanks for indulging me.
              >
              > --Jim Duffy
              >

              > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Cline, Vicki" <vlc2@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I enjoyed "Augustus" by Williams, and have just started
              > on "Augustus" by
              > > Allan Massie, it's good so far.
              > >
              > > "Three's Company" by Alfred Duggan is about the Triumvirate from
              > > Lepidus' point of view. I really liked it, but you may have a hard
              > time
              > > finding it as it was published in 1958. Actually, I see on Amazon
              > that
              > > it's been reprinted as a paperback.
              > >
              > > And I assume you know about the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven
              > Saylor
              > > and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts - both are mystery
              > series set
              > > in the time of Casear.
              > >
              > > Vicki

            • Sally Winchester
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                I *love* this book!!! You make readers feel like they're in the arena
                and various other place. Few writers capture the feel of ancient Rome
                as well as you do. When does the next volume come out (I gather it's
                the first in a series).

                Best,
                Sally

                At 12:40 AM +0000 4/25/06, Jim D wrote:
                >Masae:
                >
                >I don't know how many other authors are members here, but if I may be
                >so crass, you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
                >yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
                >not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
                >the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
                >gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it. Got a good review by Irene here
                >at Roman History Books, Publisher's Weekly, and some kind words from
                >other ancient-world writers like John Maddox Roberts and Nick
                >Nicastro.
                >
                >Don't mean to be so self-promoting, but if someone asks for a
                >suggestion on an ancient Rome novel, I can't help but toss my own
                >labor of love into the ring. Thanks for indulging me.
                >
                >--Jim Duffy

              • Masae Ueno
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25, 2006
                  Dear Group,

                  Thank you for your replies.

                  Irene wrote:

                  > The Williams book will serve the purposes.

                  Good, I'll order that one, then.

                  Vicki wrote:

                  > I enjoyed "Augustus" by Williams, and have just started on
                  > "Augustus" by
                  > Allan Massie, it's good so far.
                  >
                  > "Three's Company" by Alfred Duggan is about the Triumvirate from
                  > Lepidus' point of view. I really liked it, but you may have a hard
                  > time
                  > finding it as it was published in 1958.

                  That sounds great. Fortunately I could locate "Three's Company" at
                  our local library and placed hold at once. Thank you for the
                  information.

                  > And I assume you know about the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor
                  > and the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts - both are mystery
                  > series set
                  > in the time of Casear.

                  The SPQR series is still an uncharted territory. I'll check that out,
                  too.

                  Jim wrote:

                  > you might want to take a look at "Sand of the Arena" by
                  > yours truly. It's available at Amazon or your local bookstore. It's
                  > not as "literary" as Graves, but if you like action/adventure set in
                  > the early Empire, and have an interest in the real lives of
                  > gladiators, you'd probably enjoy it.

                  Most definitely. I've ordered the book, and enjoyed your "Gladiators
                  & Hollywood: When Will They Get It Right?" posted at Amazon. I was a
                  bit frustrated, though, by your courteous assessment of "Gladiator"
                  there. ;-)

                  -Masae
                • Jim D
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
                    I'll address all three comments in one fell swoop here...

                    Sally:

                    Thanks for the kind words about Sand of the Arena. Glad you enjoyed
                    the book. Coincidentally, I just delivered Book 2 (Fight For Rome) to
                    the publisher a few days ago. The release date was originally set for
                    October 2006, but I hear they might postpone it a few months. I think
                    the paperback version of Book 1 may be coming out around the same
                    time, so perhaps they don't want the two to interfere with each other
                    (?).

                    Based on some of the posts here a few weeks ago, Book 2 would
                    probably also interest a few folks on this board. It takes place
                    during AD 69, the Year of the Four Emperors. The primary gladiator
                    characters from Sand of the Arena are "recruited" to fight as an
                    auxiliary unit for Otho under Macer. I've taken all the key events of
                    the year and woven the characters into various roles in those events.
                    Anyone who knows the story of the Otho/Vitellius/Vespasian chain of
                    events will probably get a kick out of this novelized version.

                    ---
                    Irene:

                    Sorry to hear that it wasn't Sand of the Arena up for discussion. I'd
                    love to sit in on any such discussion of Sand. Always good to hear
                    feedback directly from readers-- especially readers like this who
                    know their stuff! If you do schedule it anytime soon, please let me
                    know.

                    ---
                    Masae:

                    Thanks for ordering the book. I hope you enjoy it as much as Sally &
                    Irene. Regarding the "courteous assessment" of the film "Gladiator",
                    I have to say that any high profile film that increases interest and
                    awareness in ancient Rome is okay by me. Also, since I have a film
                    and television background, I did appreciate the "spectacle" of it
                    all. However, as we all know, the history was way off, and certainly
                    the technical aspects of the gladiator fights (armor, weapons,
                    pairings, etc. etc) was also out in left field. But I look at it as a
                    springboard to spur further discussion on the topic.

                    Thanks for everyone's feedback.

                    --Jim Duffy

                    --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Sally Winchester

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2006
                      Jim,

                      looking forward to the next book. Please keep me in mind again for a review
                      copy.