Re: [Roman_History_Books] An Interesting Book Review

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
      Your books, Albert:

      The Secundus Papyrus
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592640346/stamfordhistoric
      The Cybelene Conspiracy
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592640338/stamfordhistoric

      ;-)

      From: "ALBERT NOYER" <anoyer@...>
      To: <Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 2:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [Roman_History_Books] An Interesting Book Review

      > Hi Jack;
      > Hey, you didn't mention my books..."The critically acclaimed historical
      mystery must-reads, etc, etc."
      > Just kidding, naturally, and where was this review of 69 AD ? -- which, of
      course, should be titled A.D. 69. I think it was listed in the History Book
      Club, but that's not my era so didn't want to waste my bonus points on
      getting it. Neither is Hadrian's but, as I told you, I found Following
      Hadrian in a remnant catalog.
      > As to reading the finished manuscript "If it [the day] ever comes,"
      critique groups don't work that way, but chapter by chapter. So sent along
      a chapter here and there, in between your automotive industry commentaries.
      Ars Longa, vita (and maybe the US auto industry) brevis...?"
      > Looking forward to the day.
      > Albert
      > PS "Do-gooders?" By all the accounts I've read, Domitian got exactly what
      he deserved... re: Tacitus Agricola.

      Augustus.
      > He was a businessman and a non-sybarite. He made the family money by
      managing
      > a business selling mules to the army, served in Britannia brilliantly and
      > courageously, was a suffect Consul in 51, thereafter a governor of Africa,
      and
      > later on the commander of the largest field army Rome had put under one
      man since
      > the time of Augustus. Vespasian used this force to put down the Jewish
      > rebellion that broke out in 66AD, and let his (then) 31 year old son,
      Titus, lay
      > siege to Jerusalem, take it, and destroy the Second Temple in 70.
      Vespasian and

    • jacklifton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
        Albert,

        I'm sorry that I didn't mention your very interesting, well written, and
        period-perfect novels, but they are set in a Rome far in the future from AD 69. To
        answer your question, I don't know who wrote the book the review of which
        started this thread, but I think that the review was in the Historical Novel
        Society publication called the Sole(a?)nder. In any case the original popular
        history book of this period that is good is 1989's "The Year of the Four Emperors"
        by Kenneth Wellesley, which now has a "new" introduction by Barbara Levick
        and was reissued in paperback in 2000 by Routeldge.

        Off topic-My "China Price Strategy" article's main theme was picked up by the
        Detroit News and published today by a journalist as entirely his own work.
        Who said that ..." imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"... I am
        flattered.

        Jack

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
          Jack,

          there is a novel I like: "Nero's Heirs" by Allan Massie. My review:
          http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/r_neroheirs.htm.