Re: Digest Number 10

  • Jacqueline Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 1999
      Irene, I have been to the web site, but did not see
      anything that indicates what criteria you used to
      select the books. I am not very familiar with any of
      the fiction, but will see if I can find them at my
      library. I average a book a day when reading fiction
      so will be able to catch up pretty quickly if I can
      find them. I guess what my statement about not
      knowing what you had read previously was not written
      correctly - I meant I did not "know" the books, not
      that I didn't know the "titles". As I stated, I am
      only getting started on this subject so . . . please
      excuse my "ignorance" on this topic. <g>

      I received a new book today called HANNIBAL'S WAR WITH
      ROME by Terence Wise and Mark Healy by Osprey Military
      Press. There are pictures of the modern countryside
      as well as drawings of "uniforms". It might be too
      "military" for this group. I got it from the Military
      Book Club.

      Until later,
      Jackie

      --- Roman_History_Books@onelist.com wrote:

      > ----------------------------
      >
      > The Literary Guild´┐Ż offers you half off publishers'
      > edition prices on
      > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2
      > + 1 free with
      > membership. Go to
      > http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Digest Number 8
      > From: IrenesBooks@...

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:03:05 EDT
      > From: IrenesBooks@...
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 8

      > Daylight Time,
      > jaw5030@... writes:
      >
      > << I am new to the list and do not have access to
      > the aol
      > site. Therefore, I am not familiar with how you
      > work
      > or what criteria you use to select your reads. >>
      >
      > While you don't have access to AOL, you certainly
      > can call up the website:
      > http://members.xoom.com/placida/
      >
      > "about us" tells you a bit how we started. You can
      > also view what we have
      > read so far.

      ===
      Sincerely,

      Jacqueline Wilson

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 1999
        Jackie, the criteria of selecting a book are as follows:

        1. Going chronologically through the history of Rome. This could be fiction,
        historical mysteries, nonfiction, and ancient historians. As we started
        originally at the decline of the Republic, we will eventually - and probably
        soon - go back to the beginning of Rome. We try to alternate between fiction
        and nonfiction, as some members prefer to read fiction only, and others are
        more serious scholars.

        2. The books must be either readily available in the public libraries (I
        usually run a search on a site that has all my State's libraries on it, to
        see how many have the book), or online and in the bookstores at a reasonable
        cost.

        I generally search first in the online bookstores for any books from a given
        period (plus what I own myself) and also look for members to make
        suggestions. I've had even strangers e-mail me with recommendations...

        Then I search for books and online e-texts that could provide background
        information. An example: When we read "The Memoirs of Cleopatra", some of us
        also read the Cleopatra biography by Michael Grant. At another point in
        time, we looked up relevant time periods in Josephus' "War of the Jews".

        You get my drift... You can find the books we've read, related literature,
        and a few books we discovered later on, at
        http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist1a, or, if your machine is fast
        enough, at http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist1, which includes the book
        cover graphics.

        Somebody else also alerted me to the Hannibal book, and I will definitely
        take a look at it. I bought the novels a while ago, but have not yet read
        them.