An Interesting Book Review

  • Cline, Vicki
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6 8:43 AM
      Unfortunately, it seems like the book itself isn't very interesting.

      69AD: The Year of the Four Emperors by Gwyn Morgan, The Independent
      on Sunday, 2 April 2006, Christopher Hart
      http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/reviews/article355237.ece
      <http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/reviews/article355237.ece>

      I got this link from the egroup
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HNSNewsletter/, the Historical Novel
      Society Newsletter.

      Vicki
    • jacklifton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 9:18 AM
        I'm an aficionado of the period and the events, which the book, 69AD,
        describes. Unfortunately the reviewer is not, not do I think that the reviewer
        actually read the book very carefully.

        Vespasian was succeeded by his son, called Titus by historians-he actually
        had the exact same name sequence of praenomen, nomen, and cognomen as his
        father, a Roman aristocratic practice. Titus who may well have shared power with his
        father during his father's reign lasted as sole ruler only two years , not
        12, as the review says, and died young in 81. He in turn was succeeded by his
        younger brother who we call Domitian. He reigned until 96 AD, when he was
        assassinated by do-gooders, according to the accounts that have come down to us. A
        short reign followed by the elderly Nerva, and then the empire entered its
        final golden era of military expansion under the younger Trajan whose father had
        served (as a legate, i.e., general) with Vespasian in the pre-Flavian dynastic
        period.

        Vespasian was in my opinion the most important Roman emperor after Augustus.
        He was a businessman and a non-sybarite. He made the family money by managing
        a business selling mules to the army, served in Britannia brilliantly and
        courageously, was a suffect Consul in 51, thereafter a governor of Africa, and
        later on the commander of the largest field army Rome had put under one man since
        the time of Augustus. Vespasian used this force to put down the Jewish
        rebellion that broke out in 66AD, and let his (then) 31 year old son, Titus, lay
        siege to Jerusalem, take it, and destroy the Second Temple in 70. Vespasian and
        his older son were the most accomplished and prepared men to lead the empire
        since the great Prince, Augustus, himself. The footings that they prepared led
        to a century long golden age for Rome and its patrician and citizen classes.

        If you want dry facts read Barbara Levick's late 1990s biography,
        "Vespasian."

        If you want to be entertained then wait for my biographical novel of the
        great man alos to be entitled "Vespasian." My (email) friend Albert Noyer gets to
        read and criticize it first when that day comes that it is finished, if it
        ever comes.

      • ALBERT NOYER
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 11:39 AM
          Hi Jack;
          Hey, you didn't mention my books..."The critically acclaimed historical mystery must-reads, etc, etc."
          Just kidding, naturally, and where was this review of 69 AD ? -- which, of course, should be titled A.D. 69. I think it was listed in the History Book Club, but that's not my era so didn't want to waste my bonus points on getting it. Neither is Hadrian's but, as I told you, I found Following Hadrian in a remnant catalog.
          As to reading the finished manuscript "If it [the day] ever comes," critique groups don't work that way, but chapter by chapter. So sent along a chapter here and there, in between your automotive industry commentaries. Ars Longa, vita (and maybe the US auto industry) brevis...?"
          Looking forward to the day.
          Albert
          PS "Do-gooders?" By all the accounts I've read, Domitian got exactly what he deserved... re: Tacitus Agricola.

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Roman_History_Books" on the web.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6 11:45 AM
            Your books, Albert:

            The Secundus Papyrus
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592640346/stamfordhistoric
            The Cybelene Conspiracy
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592640338/stamfordhistoric

            ;-)

          • jacklifton@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6 1:29 PM
              Albert,

              I'm sorry that I didn't mention your very interesting, well written, and
              period-perfect novels, but they are set in a Rome far in the future from AD 69. To
              answer your question, I don't know who wrote the book the review of which
              started this thread, but I think that the review was in the Historical Novel
              Society publication called the Sole(a?)nder. In any case the original popular
              history book of this period that is good is 1989's "The Year of the Four Emperors"
              by Kenneth Wellesley, which now has a "new" introduction by Barbara Levick
              and was reissued in paperback in 2000 by Routeldge.

              Off topic-My "China Price Strategy" article's main theme was picked up by the
              Detroit News and published today by a journalist as entirely his own work.
              Who said that ..." imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"... I am
              flattered.

              Jack

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6 1:51 PM
                Jack,

                there is a novel I like: "Nero's Heirs" by Allan Massie. My review:
                http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/r_neroheirs.htm.