Fw: Virus Warning: OW #11.07 - Friday is Nyxem day

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      From: "OFFICE Watch" <wow-robot@...>
      To: <irenesbooks@...>
      Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:26 AM
      Subject: OW #11.07 - Friday is Nyxem day

      > --==>> OFFICE WATCH <<==--
      > Your independent source for MS Office advice and news since 1996
      > 2 February 2006 - Vol. 11 No. 7
      >
      > Nyxem sounds like a new medicine ('Ask your doctor about Nyxem') but it's
      actually a virus that, on Friday this week, could delete your MS Office
      documents. We thought our readers should get a 'heads up'.

      > 1. Friday is Nyxem day
      > 2. Keep OW Alive and Free
      > 3. Administrivia & Advertising
      >

      > Calling all romantics - our latest ebook is now on sale:
      > "Valentine's Day with Word" coming to a cupid near you.
      > http://shop.office-watch.com/val
      >

      > 1. FRIDAY IS NYXEM DAY
      > There's a virus out there that will rear its ugly head on Friday. It's
      known by various names including 'Nyxem' and 'Blackmal' and could delete
      Office and Acrobat documents from your computer.

      > On the third of each month, starting this Friday it will destroy Word,
      Excel, Powerpoint and Acrobat files plus Access databases among others.

      > If you've followed our long standing suggestions for protection against
      emailed nasties you should be OK - but since this one could be lurking it's
      worth a double check - hence this short warning to our readers.

      > If you have anti-virus software (and if you don't, why not?) then make
      sure it is up to date then run a full scan over your computers.

      > Your AV software should have detected any nasties when they first arrived,
      but some can slip through so regular full scans are a wise move. Running a
      full AV scan before 'special' events like this is probably more for peace of
      mind than necessity.

      > For the same reason, you might want to do a backup of your documents.
      >
      > The original virus might have arrived as an email message with one of the
      following subject lines:

      > Funny :)
      > My photos
      > Crazy illegal sex
      > Real show
      > Miss Lebanon 2006
      > Give me a kiss
      > School girl fantasies gone bad
      >
      > Once running on a computer it can infect other computers on the network so
      even computers that don't have normal email access could be infected.

      > All the gory details of the virus are at
      http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blackmal.e@...
      and there's also a removal tool if you're already infected.

      > Several of the anti-virus makers have downloadable demos for you to try.
      We've been trying out F-Prot http://www.f-prot.com/download/corporate/trial/
      lately.

      > --------------------
      >

      > Since 1996 we've strived to keep our email newsletters free for everyone
      despite the economic pressures to impose a direct charge. Our ebooks have
      become extremely popular and renowned for their usefulness and excellent
      value.

      > If you like Office Watch then check out one or more of these titles, as a
      subscriber you get a DISCOUNT on the regular retail price:

      > "Valentine's Day with Word " http://shop.office-watch.com/val
      > Make your own personal and memorable Valentine's Day cards or email using
      MS Word. Comes with Word docs and exclusive graphics.

      > "Eye-Catching Signs with Word" http://shop.office-watch.com/esw/
      > Turn a boring plain sign into one that gets noticed! All you need is MS
      Word and our popular ebook complete with example documents for you to use.

      > "Office Extras Handbook " http://shop.office-watch.com/oeh/
      > Our personal selection of extras for MS Office to make it run better and
      faster. Includes exclusive discounts.

      > "The Desktop Search Handbook" http://shop.office-watch.com/dsh/
      > Finding the right document or email is much easier and faster with one of
      the free search tools now available. We help you choose the right one and
      show you how to make the best use of these free tools.

      > 2. KEEP OW ALIVE AND FREE
      > If you like the no-nonsense style you see in this newsletter - the
      straight scoop, whether Microsoft likes it or not, dished out in a way that
      won't put you to sleep - get one of these books!

      > OFFICE WATCH guides
      > "Eye-Catching Signs with Word" http://shop.office-watch.com/esw/
      >
      > "Office Extras Handbook " http://shop.office-watch.com/oeh/
      >
      > "The Desktop Search Handbook" http://shop.office-watch.com/dsh/
      >
      > "Christmas Cheer with Office" http://shop.office-watch.com/xmas
      >

      > "Office 2003 Timesaving Techniques for Dummies" , Wiley
      > http://www.office-watch.com/l.asp?0764567616
      >
      > "Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2003" with Ed Bott, Que
      > http://www.office-watch.com/l.asp?0789729555
      >
      > "Windows XP Timesaving Techniques For Dummies", Wiley
      > http://www.office-watch.com/l.asp?0764537482
      >
      > "Windows XP All-In-One Desk Reference For Dummies, 2nd Edition", Wiley
      > http://office-watch.com/l.asp?0764574639
      >
      > "Special Edition Using Microsoft Office XP" with Ed Bott, Que
      > http://www.office-watch.com/l.asp?0789725134
      >

      > 3. ADMINISTRIVIA
      > If you want to know about subscribing, unsubscribing, changing your
      address, making comments, distributing copies of OW - or you want to read
      about how we protect your privacy, or any of the usual legal mumbo-jumbo,
      please hop over to your very own personalized OW page at
      http://office-watch.com/info.asp?wow=ibhahn@... .

      > This copy of OW was originally sent to ibhahn@...
      >
      > We've started a gradual change from our woodyswatch.com domain to
      office-watch.com and you'll see links changing over time. If you want to
      prepare for the future we ask that you add office-watch.com to the 'white'
      or 'safe senders' list in your anti-spam filter.

      > ADVERTISING
      > You, too, can reach the largest group of influential Office users on the
      planet for a mere pittance... send a message to Jan
      mailto:ads@... and our ad folks will send you details.

      http://www.dundee.net/isp/default.asp

      leave-21890717-30872156H@...