"Must Reads" in Livy this week

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hello all!

      I realize that not all of you will be able to have read the entire assignment for tomorrow.

      Here are some highlights you might read, which are not only interesting and/or entertaining but also with plenty of stuff to discuss:

      1. The Battle of Magnesia, Book XXXVII.38.ff (Penguin edition p. 315ff)

      2. The speeches of Eumenes and the Rhodians before the Senate, Book XXXVII.52.ff (Penguin p.326ff)

      3. The Galatian Campaign, Book XXXVIII.ff (Penguin p. 350ff), beginning with a magnificent speech by the consul and at least through the defeat of the Galatians in the mountains.

      Roman History Books and More Blog
      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

    • Greg Pitts
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
        How I wish I was going to be available for this chat! I am new to
        this group and have a strong interest in the great battles of
        antiquity, Magnesia (190 B.C.) being one. There is simply not enough
        left to us on this battle and I am curious about the insight of
        others.

        Will a transcript of the "chat" be avilable later for those of us
        that cannot be directly involved?

        - Greg Pitts

        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
        <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > I realize that not all of you will be able to have read the entire
        assignment for tomorrow.

        > Here are some highlights you might read, which are not only
        interesting and/or entertaining but also with plenty of stuff to
        discuss:

        > 1. The Battle of Magnesia, Book XXXVII.38.ff (Penguin edition p.
        315ff)

        > 2. The speeches of Eumenes and the Rhodians before the Senate,
        Book XXXVII.52.ff (Penguin p.326ff)

        > 3. The Galatian Campaign, Book XXXVIII.ff (Penguin p. 350ff),
        beginning with a magnificent speech by the consul and at least
        through the defeat of the Galatians in the mountains.

        > Irene
        >
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        > Roman History Books and More Blog
        > http://romanhistorybooks.typepad.com/
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
        > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm
        > Member of Literature Reading Circle
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      • Beverly & Ian Jennings
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
          Irene,

          Thanks for the suggestions on tomorrow's reading assignment! I'm definitely behind but this will give me something to focus on. And, I may be late getting to chat tomorrow night. I have a meeting at 7:00 pm but should be home by around 9:00 pm.

          See you all tomorrow!

          Oh - love the blog!

          Heloise

          Beverly & Ian Jennings

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
            <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

            > Hello all!
            >
            > I realize that not all of you will be able to have read the entire
            assignment for tomorrow.

            > Here are some highlights you might read, which are not only
            interesting and/or entertaining but also with plenty of stuff to
            discuss:

            Irene, this was a good idea. Do you have a similar list for the
            final Livy chat? I'd like to suggest Cato's censorship (I think you
            mentioned that we'd talk about that next time). Anything else?
            Even if I manage to finish the whole thing, it's nice to focus on a
            few main points.

            Thanks,
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
              Will be forthcoming during the week.