Re: 2006 Reading List

  • bingleyausten
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 23, 2005
      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
      <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

      > Hello All! (Happy Thanksgivings Day!)
      >
      > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
      dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
      weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
      >
      > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
      some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
      books.

      > Irene

      For the Tacitus, I would suggest 2 chats, one for the Agricola, and one
      for the Germania and the supplemental reading.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2005
        Thank you!

        Also for the links correction.

        > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
        dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
        weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
        >
        > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
        some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
        books.

        > Irene

        >>The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
        Abridged / Unabridged
        Online: The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
        (two sections in two separate interspersed chat cycles รข?" Bingley
        still needs to select the sections)<<

        I suggest 3 chats for Volume the First and 2 chats for Volume the
        Second as follows:

        Chapters I to VII (general geographical and social overview of the
        Roman Empire (people might want to skip the second half of Chapter I
        as Gibbon naturally explains the geography in terms of 18th century
        countries, which can get confusing), a quick whizz through the early
        history of the empire down to the death of Marcus Aurelius (180), and
        then Gibbon takes us down to the Secular Games (248))

        Chapters VIII to XIII (general overviews of the Persian empire and
        the Barbarians and then Gibbon takes us down to the abdication and
        death of Diocletian (313))

        Chapters XIV to XVI plus the Vindication of Chapters XV and XVI (from
        the abdication of Diocletian till Constantine becomes sole emperor
        (324) and the history of Christianity down to its legalisation)

        ----

        Chapters XVII to XXI (Constantine and his family down to Julian's
        time in Gaul (359) and religious controversies (Chapter XXI -- some
        people might want to skip this))

        Chapters XXII to XXVI (From Julian being declared emperor in Gaul
        down to Theodosius' defeat of the Goths (382). The section on Julian
        is mainly a summary of Ammianus, who we read quite recently, so some
        people might want to do some judicious skipping here as well)

        If people are still interested we could do Volume the Third in 2007

        BTW, Irene, most of the links on the page you give for the online
        text are broken. Try: http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/home.html
        (Note, the section numbers here do not correspond to Gibbon's volumes)

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Vicki Cline
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
          One tiny correction - March 16 should be March 15.

          Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of dates,
          with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive weeks to
          accommodate holiday preparations.

          http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm

          I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need some
          input of how many chats you think we need for the individual books.

          Member of Literature Reading Circle
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Vicki Cline
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
            It would be interesting to read First Man in Rome right after Sulla the
            Fortunate, to see how McCullough has used history in her narrative.

            Also, we may need a session of fiction in between the Gibbon books. So 3
            chats on Book I, fiction chat, 2 chats on Book II (per bingley).

            And I like your suggestion of discussing Tacitus along with The Barbarians
            Speak. Don't know how many chats that might take, though.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
              Done!

              Thanks!

              Irene
              --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Cline" <vcline1@e...> wrote:

              > One tiny correction - March 16 should be March 15.
              >
              > Vicki

            • lennep95
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
                I agree, and I think that was Bingley's intent also. I may not have expressed myself clearly.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2005
                  --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
                  <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

                  > I agree, and I think that was Bingley's intent also. I may not have
                  expressed myself clearly.

                  > Irene
                  >

                  > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Cline"
                  <vcline1@e...> wrote:

                  > ... Also, we may need a session of fiction in between the Gibbon
                  books. So 3
                  > > chats on Book I, fiction chat, 2 chats on Book II (per bingley).

                  Oh, heavens, yes, I certainly assumed we would be doing something else
                  between the two volumes.