2006 Reading List

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2005
      Hello All! (Happy Thanksgivings Day!)

      Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm

      I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual books.

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

    • cinnacor
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 23, 2005
        --Happy thanksgiving to you as well.
        Cinnacor- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
        <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

        > Hello All! (Happy Thanksgivings Day!)
        >
        > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
        dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
        weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
        >
        > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
        some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
        books.

        > Irene
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        > Member of Literature Reading Circle
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
        > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

      • bingleyausten
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 23, 2005
          <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

          > Hello All! (Happy Thanksgivings Day!)
          >
          > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
          dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
          weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
          >
          > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
          some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
          books.

          > Irene

          >>The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
          Abridged / Unabridged
          Online: The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
          (two sections in two separate interspersed chat cycles â€" Bingley
          still needs to select the sections)<<

          I suggest 3 chats for Volume the First and 2 chats for Volume the
          Second as follows:

          Chapters I to VII (general geographical and social overview of the
          Roman Empire (people might want to skip the second half of Chapter I
          as Gibbon naturally explains the geography in terms of 18th century
          countries, which can get confusing), a quick whizz through the early
          history of the empire down to the death of Marcus Aurelius (180), and
          then Gibbon takes us down to the Secular Games (248))

          Chapters VIII to XIII (general overviews of the Persian empire and
          the Barbarians and then Gibbon takes us down to the abdication and
          death of Diocletian (313))

          Chapters XIV to XVI plus the Vindication of Chapters XV and XVI (from
          the abdication of Diocletian till Constantine becomes sole emperor
          (324) and the history of Christianity down to its legalisation)

          ----

          Chapters XVII to XXI (Constantine and his family down to Julian's
          time in Gaul (359) and religious controversies (Chapter XXI -- some
          people might want to skip this))

          Chapters XXII to XXVI (From Julian being declared emperor in Gaul
          down to Theodosius' defeat of the Goths (382). The section on Julian
          is mainly a summary of Ammianus, who we read quite recently, so some
          people might want to do some judicious skipping here as well)

          If people are still interested we could do Volume the Third in 2007

          BTW, Irene, most of the links on the page you give for the online
          text are broken. Try: http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/home.html
          (Note, the section numbers here do not correspond to Gibbon's volumes)
        • bingleyausten
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 23, 2005
            <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

            > Hello All! (Happy Thanksgivings Day!)
            >
            > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
            dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
            weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

            > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
            >
            > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
            some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
            books.

            > Irene

            For the Tacitus, I would suggest 2 chats, one for the Agricola, and one
            for the Germania and the supplemental reading.
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 24, 2005
              Thank you!

              Also for the links correction.

              > Attached is the agreed-upon reading list for 2006 and a calendar of
              dates, with the usual August recess and December's two consecutive
              weeks to accommodate holiday preparations.

              > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/2006readlist.htm
              >
              > I still need to figure out the actual dates per book and will need
              some input of how many chats you think we need for the individual
              books.

              > Irene

              >>The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
              Abridged / Unabridged
              Online: The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
              (two sections in two separate interspersed chat cycles â?" Bingley
              still needs to select the sections)<<

              I suggest 3 chats for Volume the First and 2 chats for Volume the
              Second as follows:

              Chapters I to VII (general geographical and social overview of the
              Roman Empire (people might want to skip the second half of Chapter I
              as Gibbon naturally explains the geography in terms of 18th century
              countries, which can get confusing), a quick whizz through the early
              history of the empire down to the death of Marcus Aurelius (180), and
              then Gibbon takes us down to the Secular Games (248))

              Chapters VIII to XIII (general overviews of the Persian empire and
              the Barbarians and then Gibbon takes us down to the abdication and
              death of Diocletian (313))

              Chapters XIV to XVI plus the Vindication of Chapters XV and XVI (from
              the abdication of Diocletian till Constantine becomes sole emperor
              (324) and the history of Christianity down to its legalisation)

              ----

              Chapters XVII to XXI (Constantine and his family down to Julian's
              time in Gaul (359) and religious controversies (Chapter XXI -- some
              people might want to skip this))

              Chapters XXII to XXVI (From Julian being declared emperor in Gaul
              down to Theodosius' defeat of the Goths (382). The section on Julian
              is mainly a summary of Ammianus, who we read quite recently, so some
              people might want to do some judicious skipping here as well)

              If people are still interested we could do Volume the Third in 2007

              BTW, Irene, most of the links on the page you give for the online
              text are broken. Try: http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/home.html
              (Note, the section numbers here do not correspond to Gibbon's volumes)

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Vicki Cline
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
                One tiny correction - March 16 should be March 15.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
                  It would be interesting to read First Man in Rome right after Sulla the
                  Fortunate, to see how McCullough has used history in her narrative.

                  Also, we may need a session of fiction in between the Gibbon books. So 3
                  chats on Book I, fiction chat, 2 chats on Book II (per bingley).

                  And I like your suggestion of discussing Tacitus along with The Barbarians
                  Speak. Don't know how many chats that might take, though.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Done!

                    Thanks!

                    Irene
                    --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Cline" <vcline1@e...> wrote:

                    > One tiny correction - March 16 should be March 15.
                    >
                    > Vicki

                  • lennep95
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
                      I agree, and I think that was Bingley's intent also. I may not have expressed myself clearly.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 30, 2005
                        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
                        <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

                        > I agree, and I think that was Bingley's intent also. I may not have
                        expressed myself clearly.

                        > Irene
                        >

                        > --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Cline"
                        <vcline1@e...> wrote:

                        > ... Also, we may need a session of fiction in between the Gibbon
                        books. So 3
                        > > chats on Book I, fiction chat, 2 chats on Book II (per bingley).

                        Oh, heavens, yes, I certainly assumed we would be doing something else
                        between the two volumes.