[Roman_History_Books] Book Suggestions

  • Cline, Vicki
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2005
      Here are the new (and old) suggestions for our reading group -

      Fiction
      David Wishart: some Marcus Corvinus mystery
      Rosemary Rowe: some Libertus mystery
      John Buchan (of "The 39 Steps"): Julius Caesar
      Vincent Panella: Cutter's Island (novel about Caesar and the pirates)
      Henrik Ibsen: Emperor and Galilean (play about Emperor Julian)
      Plautus: Roman comedies, esp. "Pseudolus"
      Marguerite Yourcenar: MEMOIRS OF HADRIAN
      Winifred Bryher: THE COIN OF CARTHAGE
      Rex Warner: THE YOUNG CAESAR
      Mika Waltari: THE ROMAN
      Gustave Flaubert: SALAMMBO (etext available online)
      http://www.classicreader.com/booktoc.php/sid.1/bookid.631/
      Wilkie Collins: ANTONINA (etext available online)
      http://www.wilkie-collins.com/antonina-the-fall-of-rome/
      John Masefield: BASILISSA
      Evelyn Waugh: HELENA
      William Golding: THE DOUBLE TONGUE
      John Hersey: THE CONSPIRACY
      Anthony Burgess: THE KINGDOM OF THE WICKED
      Plutarch/Shakespeare: CORIOLANUS

      Non-Fiction
      G.P. Baker: SULLA THE FORTUNATE
      David Anthony Durham: Pride of Carthage
      Mathias Gelzer: Caesar, Politician and Statesman
      Erich Gruen: The Last Generation of the Roman Republic
      Ernle Selby: Julius Caesar, The Pursuit of Power
      Howard H. Scullard: A History of the Roman World 753 to 146 B.C.
      Gibbon: History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, books 1-3
      Suetonius: THE TWELVE CAESARS
      Mommsen: A HISTORY OF ROME UNDER THE EMPERORS
      Christian Meier: CAESAR
      Marcus Tullius Cicero: DE OFFICIIS (etext available online)
      http://www.constitution.org/rom/de_officiis.htm
      Arthur D. Kahn: THE EDUCATION OF JULIUS CAESAR
      Erik Hildinger: SWORDS AGAINST THE SENATE

      Vicki
      aka vlcroman
    • vlc2_sims
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2005
        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "Cline, Vicki" <vlc2@p...>
        wrote:

        > Here are the new (and old) suggestions for our reading group -

        Once again this list of books looks bad in the email version but looks
        fine if you view it in the Yahoo group. Sorry about that.