A couple of suggestions

  • bingleyausten
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Scullard's A History of the Roman World 753 to 146 BC

      If we were feeling ambitious, how about the first three volumes of
      Gibbon's Decline and Fall? The last couple of chapters of Volume The
      Third are a bit outside our period, but those who are not interested
      could skip them. This would take us down to the fall of the Western
      Empire. We could do it one volume at a time, and intersperse it with
      something lighter.
    • jacklifton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        I am a bit confused. I thought that the suggested books were to be limited
        to the period before, or the period of, the first century BC.

        And if that is so then why anyone suggested any of the large ouevre of
        historical military fiction about the Romans, i.e. Caesar to Vespasian through
        Iggulden, Dando Collins, and Scarrow, or Dando Collins? What about Quo vadis?
        What about Feuchtwanger's novels of Josephus?

        What are the rules?

        Jack Lifton

      • bingleyausten
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, jacklifton@a... wrote:

          > I am a bit confused. I thought that the suggested books were to be
          limited
          > to the period before, or the period of, the first century BC.
          >
          > And if that is so then why anyone suggested any of the large ouevre
          of
          > historical military fiction about the Romans, i.e. Caesar to
          Vespasian through
          > Iggulden, Dando Collins, and Scarrow, or Dando Collins? What about
          Quo vadis?
          > What about Feuchtwanger's novels of Josephus?
          >
          > What are the rules?
          >
          > Jack Lifton

          As far as I know our period is from the founding of Rome to the late
          5th century AD.