Re: [Roman_History_Books] Suggestions for Next Batch of Reading

  • ptobey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
      > I have all of Rowe's and all of Wishart, except for the latest book, which
      > I haven't yet ordered. I haven't found Wishart over here in the US, but I
      > order those from Amazon dot com. I saw Rosebary Rowe the other day at Barnes &
      > Noble.
      > David Wishart: some Marcus Corvinus mystery
      > Rosemary Rowe: some Libertus mystery

      These two I have and would reread them, as it's been a while. Since I'm
      watching the Rome series, I've been thinking of rereading Meier's book.
      > Non-fiction
      > Christian Meier: CAESAR Marcus Tullius
      > Edith Hamilton: THE ROMAN WAY

      Pam in DC

    • ptobey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
        I must say that I'd NOT add to the list the 4 Emperor books by Conn Iggulden.
        He takes the facts of Caesar's life and changes them all up and down to suit
        the story the way he has written it, and not the way it really happened. It
        was quite annoying. He killed Marius in a different way at a different time, had
        Marcus Brutus as his best friend from childhood, changed the wives, changed
        battles and their order, etc.
        Pam

      • jacklifton@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
          Pam,

          I think Meir's book is just called "Caesar."

          In any case the praenomen and nomen Marcus Tullius belong to the
          politician/statesman/writer whose cognomen was CICERO, not CAESAR.

          Jack Lifton

        • ptobey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hi Jack,
            I know Meier's book is Caesar. I have it. The other to which I referred was
            a series by Conn Iggulden called the Emperor series\. The books are about
            Caesar's life as this author changed it to what he decided it would be, not as it
            was. He has Marcus Junius Brutus ( I forgot the Junius in my post), the one
            who was instrumental in the stabbing of Caesar on the Ides of Mars and son of
            Servilia , as his best friend in childhood. No referral to Cicero was meant.
            :-)
            Pam :-)

          • vlc2_sims
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
              --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
              <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:

              > Added to this:
              > David Anthony Durham: Pride of Carthage
              > I can't remember that we mentioned Baker's "Augustus".
              > More to come!
              >
              > Irene

              Added Durham to the list - I'll accumulate all the suggestions. I
              think I mentioned "Augustus" in passing when we were talking
              about "Sulla the Fortunate." Maybe one by Baker is enough for the next
              set of books.

              Vicki
              aka vlcroman