Re: [Roman_History_Books] Next Book Chat

  • jacklifton@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
      In a message dated 10/22/2005 12:00:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      irenesbooks@... writes:

      When did the office of Consul finally lapse? It started with a Brutus right
      after the expulsion of the Etruscan "kings" from Rome. If Belisarius held the
      office then it had been in existence for more than a thousand years at the
      time. I personally believe that the ancient Romans had a great regard for their
      traditions and that their chosen Fuehrer who Hollywood has dubbed the
      Emperor by appropriating the most acceptable of the terms used in the modern period
      for an absolute ruler put in place and held in place by the military was
      more likely to consider himself the Chief Curule Magistrate and holder of both
      the Tribunican Power and Consular Imperium. Note that the most reliable sign
      of the Senate's appointment to the highest office was the grant of Tribunican
      Power, i.e., the power to over ride the Senate, itself, in the name of the
      popular assembly! By the time of Belisarius, and, I think, well before, the
      offcie of Consul was a grant by the "Emperor" for the purpose of an overall
      sub-imperitorial army command.

      Jack Lifton

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
        I'm not sure.
        This, strictly speaking, falls under "Medieval History," so you might pose your question to the Medieval History Forum: http://historymedren.about.com/mpboards.htm
        Member of Literature Reading Circle
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
        irenesbooks@... writes:

[...]

        Historical fiction Historical fiction books Ancient rome art

      • nemesis eudaimonos
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
          Just in case you want to post on the Ancient/Classical History forum about
          this....

          Because when About was a Primedia company "they" got to decide what was
          what, and Ancient/Classical History was awarded an article on Belisarius,
          Justinian and Belisarius are okay for the Ancient/Classical History site at
          About.com.

          Justinian is considered the last of the Roman and the first of the Byzantine
          emperors. According to the article below, it was with Justinian that the
          fiction of a united Mediterranean Roman empire ended. So Justinian is an
          acceptable alternative to Gibbon's 476
          A.D.-ousting-of-Romulus-Augustulus-by-Odoacer Fall of Rome.

          Justinian and the Historian Procopius
          J. A. S. Evans
          Greece & Rome, 2nd Ser., Vol. 17, No. 2. (Oct., 1970), pp. 218-223.
          Stable URL:
          http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0017-3835%28197010%292%3A17%3A2%3C218%3AJATHP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-0

          The following title looked interesting, but I haven't read it:

          The Values of a Classical Education: Satirical Elements in Robert Graves's
          Claudius Novels
          Philip Burton
          The Review of English Studies > New Series, Vol. 46, No. 182 (May, 1995),
          pp. 191-218
          Stable URL:
          http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0034-6551%28199505%292%3A46%3A182%3C191%3ATVOACE%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

          N.S. Gill

          About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
          http://ancienthistory.about.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
            Unfortunately, the jstor links are not accessible!

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
              You can find the article on Jstor, though, using the information. It seems a
              very interesting article that I haven't yet finished. I really like this
              period. I hope I have time to read/join discussion.