Next Book Chat

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
      Hi all!

      Our next two book chats will be on "Count Belisarius" by Robert Graves.

      I have provided some background information here: http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm

      Our first chat should be limited through Chapter 12: "Belisarius's Consulship".

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

    • jacklifton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
        In a message dated 10/22/2005 12:00:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        irenesbooks@... writes:

        When did the office of Consul finally lapse? It started with a Brutus right
        after the expulsion of the Etruscan "kings" from Rome. If Belisarius held the
        office then it had been in existence for more than a thousand years at the
        time. I personally believe that the ancient Romans had a great regard for their
        traditions and that their chosen Fuehrer who Hollywood has dubbed the
        Emperor by appropriating the most acceptable of the terms used in the modern period
        for an absolute ruler put in place and held in place by the military was
        more likely to consider himself the Chief Curule Magistrate and holder of both
        the Tribunican Power and Consular Imperium. Note that the most reliable sign
        of the Senate's appointment to the highest office was the grant of Tribunican
        Power, i.e., the power to over ride the Senate, itself, in the name of the
        popular assembly! By the time of Belisarius, and, I think, well before, the
        offcie of Consul was a grant by the "Emperor" for the purpose of an overall
        sub-imperitorial army command.

        Jack Lifton

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
          I'm not sure.
          This, strictly speaking, falls under "Medieval History," so you might pose your question to the Medieval History Forum: http://historymedren.about.com/mpboards.htm
          irenesbooks@... writes:

[...]

          Historical fiction Historical fiction books Ancient rome art

        • nemesis eudaimonos
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
            Just in case you want to post on the Ancient/Classical History forum about
            this....

            Because when About was a Primedia company "they" got to decide what was
            what, and Ancient/Classical History was awarded an article on Belisarius,
            Justinian and Belisarius are okay for the Ancient/Classical History site at
            About.com.

            Justinian is considered the last of the Roman and the first of the Byzantine
            emperors. According to the article below, it was with Justinian that the
            fiction of a united Mediterranean Roman empire ended. So Justinian is an
            acceptable alternative to Gibbon's 476
            A.D.-ousting-of-Romulus-Augustulus-by-Odoacer Fall of Rome.

            Justinian and the Historian Procopius
            J. A. S. Evans
            Greece & Rome, 2nd Ser., Vol. 17, No. 2. (Oct., 1970), pp. 218-223.
            Stable URL:
            http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0017-3835%28197010%292%3A17%3A2%3C218%3AJATHP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-0

            The following title looked interesting, but I haven't read it:

            The Values of a Classical Education: Satirical Elements in Robert Graves's
            Claudius Novels
            Philip Burton
            The Review of English Studies > New Series, Vol. 46, No. 182 (May, 1995),
            pp. 191-218
            Stable URL:
            http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0034-6551%28199505%292%3A46%3A182%3C191%3ATVOACE%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

            N.S. Gill

            About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
            http://ancienthistory.about.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 22, 2005
              Unfortunately, the jstor links are not accessible!

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 23, 2005
                You can find the article on Jstor, though, using the information. It seems a
                very interesting article that I haven't yet finished. I really like this
                period. I hope I have time to read/join discussion.