RE: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Next Book: From the Gracchi to Nero

  • Vicki Cline
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11 2:13 PM
      Even if you can't find this particular book, it's really just a history of
      that specific period (although a good one). I hope you'll come by even
      without having read the book. There are other good sources for the period.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11 2:33 PM
        Vici,

        The "specific period" is from just before the birth of Julius Caesar to the
        reign of Nero, which is nearly 175 years during which there were, among other
        events:

        The seven consulships of Marius
        The dictatorship of Sulla
        The Spartacus-led slave revolt
        The first occupation of Jerusalem by Pompey
        The rise and fall of Crassus and Pompey
        The conquests of Julius Caesar
        The dictatorship and fall of Julius Caesar
        The battle of Actium
        The Principate of Augustus
        The loss of two legions by Varus in the Teutoborg Forest
        The treason of Sejanus
        The lunacy of caligula
        The conquest of Britain by "Claudius."
        Nero's rise and fall
        The revolt of the Jews

        I'm sure that I left some things out.

        I would like to point out that after I read Gibbon as a teenager I then read
        this Scullard book, and it made a lasting impression on me. It is still a
        good overview. There are other good sources, but this is one of the best by one
        of the greatest scholars of the "period."

        Jack Lifton

      • S.Kevin Wojtaszek
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11 6:31 PM
          Used copies are available @ good price @ Alibris.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12 8:56 AM
            Jack, You left out the beginning of the book:

            Before Marius, there were the Gracchi. ;-)

            There is a lot of related online stuff on my page http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm#gracchi .

            Member of Literature Reading Circle
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/