Re: Next Book: From the Gracchi to Nero

  • cinnacor
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2005
      --
      That one be interesting if I could get a hold of the book.
      A chat on Sulla would be of interested.
      Cinnacor

      - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
      <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
      > The relevant webpage is now up for background info, online links,
      etc.

      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm
      >
      > Irene
      >
      > Roman History Reading Group
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
      > Member of Literature Reading Circle
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
      > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
      > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

    • Vicki Cline
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
        Even if you can't find this particular book, it's really just a history of
        that specific period (although a good one). I hope you'll come by even
        without having read the book. There are other good sources for the period.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
          Vici,

          The "specific period" is from just before the birth of Julius Caesar to the
          reign of Nero, which is nearly 175 years during which there were, among other
          events:

          The seven consulships of Marius
          The dictatorship of Sulla
          The Spartacus-led slave revolt
          The first occupation of Jerusalem by Pompey
          The rise and fall of Crassus and Pompey
          The conquests of Julius Caesar
          The dictatorship and fall of Julius Caesar
          The battle of Actium
          The Principate of Augustus
          The loss of two legions by Varus in the Teutoborg Forest
          The treason of Sejanus
          The lunacy of caligula
          The conquest of Britain by "Claudius."
          Nero's rise and fall
          The revolt of the Jews

          I'm sure that I left some things out.

          I would like to point out that after I read Gibbon as a teenager I then read
          this Scullard book, and it made a lasting impression on me. It is still a
          good overview. There are other good sources, but this is one of the best by one
          of the greatest scholars of the "period."

          Jack Lifton

        • S.Kevin Wojtaszek
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
            Used copies are available @ good price @ Alibris.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2005
              Jack, You left out the beginning of the book:

              Before Marius, there were the Gracchi. ;-)

              There is a lot of related online stuff on my page http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm#gracchi .