Re: [Roman_History_Books] Next Book: From the Gracchi to Nero

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2005
      The relevant webpage is now up for background info, online links, etc.

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2005
        That one be interesting if I could get a hold of the book.
        A chat on Sulla would be of interested.
        Cinnacor

        - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
        <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
        > The relevant webpage is now up for background info, online links,
        etc.

        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm
        >
        > Irene
        >
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        > Member of Literature Reading Circle
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
        > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

      • Vicki Cline
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
          Even if you can't find this particular book, it's really just a history of
          that specific period (although a good one). I hope you'll come by even
          without having read the book. There are other good sources for the period.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
            Vici,

            The "specific period" is from just before the birth of Julius Caesar to the
            reign of Nero, which is nearly 175 years during which there were, among other
            events:

            The seven consulships of Marius
            The dictatorship of Sulla
            The Spartacus-led slave revolt
            The first occupation of Jerusalem by Pompey
            The rise and fall of Crassus and Pompey
            The conquests of Julius Caesar
            The dictatorship and fall of Julius Caesar
            The battle of Actium
            The Principate of Augustus
            The loss of two legions by Varus in the Teutoborg Forest
            The treason of Sejanus
            The lunacy of caligula
            The conquest of Britain by "Claudius."
            Nero's rise and fall
            The revolt of the Jews

            I'm sure that I left some things out.

            I would like to point out that after I read Gibbon as a teenager I then read
            this Scullard book, and it made a lasting impression on me. It is still a
            good overview. There are other good sources, but this is one of the best by one
            of the greatest scholars of the "period."

            Jack Lifton

          • S.Kevin Wojtaszek
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
              Used copies are available @ good price @ Alibris.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2005
                Jack, You left out the beginning of the book:

                Before Marius, there were the Gracchi. ;-)

                There is a lot of related online stuff on my page http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm#gracchi .