Next Book: From the Gracchi to Nero

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
      Quickly:
      Next Book: From the Gracchi to Nero, by H.H. Scullard

      Three chats planned, starting September 21.

      Please read through Chapter IV "The Rise and Fall of Sulla"

      More information to come soon.

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2005
        The relevant webpage is now up for background info, online links, etc.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2005
          That one be interesting if I could get a hold of the book.
          A chat on Sulla would be of interested.
          Cinnacor

          - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
          <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
          > The relevant webpage is now up for background info, online links,
          etc.

          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm
          >
          > Irene
          >
          > Roman History Reading Group
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
          > Member of Literature Reading Circle
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
          > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
          > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

        • Vicki Cline
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
            Even if you can't find this particular book, it's really just a history of
            that specific period (although a good one). I hope you'll come by even
            without having read the book. There are other good sources for the period.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
              Vici,

              The "specific period" is from just before the birth of Julius Caesar to the
              reign of Nero, which is nearly 175 years during which there were, among other
              events:

              The seven consulships of Marius
              The dictatorship of Sulla
              The Spartacus-led slave revolt
              The first occupation of Jerusalem by Pompey
              The rise and fall of Crassus and Pompey
              The conquests of Julius Caesar
              The dictatorship and fall of Julius Caesar
              The battle of Actium
              The Principate of Augustus
              The loss of two legions by Varus in the Teutoborg Forest
              The treason of Sejanus
              The lunacy of caligula
              The conquest of Britain by "Claudius."
              Nero's rise and fall
              The revolt of the Jews

              I'm sure that I left some things out.

              I would like to point out that after I read Gibbon as a teenager I then read
              this Scullard book, and it made a lasting impression on me. It is still a
              good overview. There are other good sources, but this is one of the best by one
              of the greatest scholars of the "period."

              Jack Lifton

            • S.Kevin Wojtaszek
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2005
                Used copies are available @ good price @ Alibris.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Jack, You left out the beginning of the book:

                  Before Marius, there were the Gracchi. ;-)

                  There is a lot of related online stuff on my page http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm#gracchi .