Re: Digest Number 8

  • Jacqueline Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 8:48 PM
      I am new to the list and do not have access to the aol
      site. Therefore, I am not familiar with how you work
      or what criteria you use to select your reads.

      I have recently audited a class in Ancient Roman
      Military History at AMU. If you are interested, I
      could share the reading list with you. Michael Grant
      and Josephus were included. Two other others were J F
      C Fuller and Edward N Luttwak. As I have just started
      my studies of ancient history, I am a real novice when
      it comes to knowing who are responsible historians as
      well as good writers (which is why I signed up for
      this list!)

      At this point I am not ready to read Gibbon, but will
      follow along if that is what you choose to read.

      Until the next time,
      Jackie Wilson

      --- Roman_History_Books@onelist.com wrote:

      > ----------------------------
      >
      > The Literary Guild´┐Ż offers you half off publishers'
      > edition prices on
      > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2
      > + 1 free with
      > membership. Go to
      > http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. Roman History Books Chats
      > From: IrenesBooks@...

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:08:21 EDT
      > From: IrenesBooks@...
      > Subject: Roman History Books Chats
      >
      > Hi, all!
      >
      > This mail assumes that I will have a chat room for
      > us by the end of August. I
      > will e-mail separately about dates and time we might
      > agree on. I will get
      > back to you on that after August 15.
      >
      > The next book on the list for discussion will be
      > "Island of Ghosts" by
      > Gillian Bradshaw, in two installments. For more
      > information see
      > http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist2.htm.
      >
      > The following is an SOS that I just sent to the AOL
      > chat group members and
      > now also to you:
      >
      > <<The big question is what to read next. I can find
      > only two books on the
      > later Empire:
      >
      > Fiction: "Julian" by Gore Vidal. For more see:
      > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345329082
      > (There is another book by Gillian Bradshaw:
      > "Imperial Purple", but I need to
      > check it out, I was rather disappointed by "Beacon
      > of Alexandria", which to
      > me read like a "young adult" book. Also, "Purple" is
      > out of print, and I
      > don't know how many libraries have it - although
      > mine and the ones of the
      > surrounding towns all do.)
      >
      > Nonfiction: Gibbon, Volume II. This one should be an
      > interesting book because
      > of the religious controversies.
      > (There are some biographies on the market, but they
      > are all outrageously
      > expensive, and I can't find them in any libraries in
      > my state except the
      > university ones.)
      >
      > If anyone knows of another book, please let us all
      > know soonest! This must
      > be either a reasonably priced book currently in the
      > stores, and/or easily
      > available in public libraries.
      >
      > If not, I would suggest that after Gibbon II, we go
      > back to the Beginning of
      > Rome. There are some ancient historians to be read,
      > and a couple of fiction
      > books on Hannibal, and we could slowly wend our way
      > down to the "Masters of
      > Rome" series by Colleen McCullough again, which only
      > the earliest members of
      > our group have discussed here. This series has a lot
      > of fans!
      >
      > I NEED YOUR INPUT! Thanks!>>
      >
      > Irene (IrenesBooks@...)
      > http://members.xoom.com/placida/

      ===
      Sincerely,

      Jacqueline Wilson

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 3:03 PM
        In a message dated 8/2/99 11:48:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jaw5030@... writes:

        << I am new to the list and do not have access to the aol
        site. Therefore, I am not familiar with how you work
        or what criteria you use to select your reads. >>

        While you don't have access to AOL, you certainly can call up the website:
        http://members.xoom.com/placida/

        "about us" tells you a bit how we started. You can also view what we have
        read so far.