Roman History Books Chats

  • IrenesBooks@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hi, all!

      This mail assumes that I will have a chat room for us by the end of August. I
      will e-mail separately about dates and time we might agree on. I will get
      back to you on that after August 15.

      The next book on the list for discussion will be "Island of Ghosts" by
      Gillian Bradshaw, in two installments. For more information see
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/booklist2.htm.

      The following is an SOS that I just sent to the AOL chat group members and
      now also to you:

      <<The big question is what to read next. I can find only two books on the
      later Empire:

      Fiction: "Julian" by Gore Vidal. For more see:
      (There is another book by Gillian Bradshaw: "Imperial Purple", but I need to
      check it out, I was rather disappointed by "Beacon of Alexandria", which to
      me read like a "young adult" book. Also, "Purple" is out of print, and I
      don't know how many libraries have it - although mine and the ones of the
      surrounding towns all do.)

      Nonfiction: Gibbon, Volume II. This one should be an interesting book because
      of the religious controversies.
      (There are some biographies on the market, but they are all outrageously
      expensive, and I can't find them in any libraries in my state except the
      university ones.)

      If anyone knows of another book, please let us all know soonest! This must
      be either a reasonably priced book currently in the stores, and/or easily
      available in public libraries.

      If not, I would suggest that after Gibbon II, we go back to the Beginning of
      Rome. There are some ancient historians to be read, and a couple of fiction
      books on Hannibal, and we could slowly wend our way down to the "Masters of
      Rome" series by Colleen McCullough again, which only the earliest members of
      our group have discussed here. This series has a lot of fans!

      I NEED YOUR INPUT! Thanks!>>

      Irene (IrenesBooks@...)
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/