Book Suggestions for Chat Group

  • vlc2_sims
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2005
      Here is a collection of suggestions from the mailing list. We'll
      talk sbout it on July 20. There may be more available online than
      those listed - I didn't try to track all of them down.

      Fiction

      Marguerite Yourcenar: MEMOIRS OF HADRIAN
      Gore Vidal: JULIAN
      Winifred Bryher: THE COIN OF CARTHAGE
      Rex Warner: THE YOUNG CAESAR
      Mika Waltari: THE ROMAN
      Alfred Leo Duggan: THE LITTLE EMPERORS
      Gustave Flaubert: SALAMMBO (etext available online)
      Wilkie Collins: ANTONINA (etext available online)
      John Masefield: BASILISSA
      Robert Graves: COUNT BELISARIUS
      Evelyn Waugh: HELENA
      William Golding: THE DOUBLE TONGUE
      John Hersey: THE CONSPIRACY
      Anthony Burgess: THE KINGDOM OF THE WICKED

      Non-fiction

      Plutarch/Shakespeare: CORIOLANUS
      Livy: ROME AND THE MEDITERRANEAN (books XXXI-XLV)
      Suetonius: THE TWELVE CAESARS
      Scullard: FROM THE GRACCHI TO NERO
      Mommsen: A HISTORY OF ROME UNDER THE EMPERORS
      Christian Meier: CAESAR
      Marcus Tullius Cicero: DE OFFICIIS (etext available online)
      Arthur D. Kahn: THE EDUCATION OF JULIUS CAESAR
      Erik Hildinger: SWORDS AGAINST THE SENATE
      Edith Hamilton: THE ROMAN WAY

      Vicki
      aka vlcroman
    • Karen Mercedes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2005
        How about we all also make a commitment to listen to a recording of George Friderich Handel's GIULIO CESARE in the coming months? The best recordings of the complete opera (vs. abridged) are the two conducted by Rene Jacobs and by Mark Minkowski. And in September, there will be a DVD of the Danish Royal Opera production with Andreas Scholl in the title role.

        The main (and likely only) historical source for the libretto by Nicola Francesco Haym (which was itself based on the libretto by Bussani of an earlier opera on the subject by composer Antonio Sartorio) was Plutarch.

        Just a thought to make us a bit more "multimedia". :)

        --

        Karen Mercedes
        dalila@...

        Singing requires so strict an application that one must
        study with the mind when one cannot with the voice.
        - Pier Francesco Tosi
      • lennep95
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "vlc2_sims" <vcline1@e...>
          wrote:
          > Here is a collection of suggestions from the mailing list. We'll
          > talk sbout it on July 20. There may be more available online than
          > those listed - I didn't try to track all of them down.
          >
          > Fiction
          >
          > Marguerite Yourcenar: MEMOIRS OF HADRIAN
          > Gore Vidal: JULIAN
          > Winifred Bryher: THE COIN OF CARTHAGE
          > Rex Warner: THE YOUNG CAESAR
          > Mika Waltari: THE ROMAN
          > Alfred Leo Duggan: THE LITTLE EMPERORS
          > Gustave Flaubert: SALAMMBO (etext available online)
          > Wilkie Collins: ANTONINA (etext available online)
          > John Masefield: BASILISSA
          > Robert Graves: COUNT BELISARIUS
          > Evelyn Waugh: HELENA
          > William Golding: THE DOUBLE TONGUE
          > John Hersey: THE CONSPIRACY
          > Anthony Burgess: THE KINGDOM OF THE WICKED
          >
          > Non-fiction
          >
          > Plutarch/Shakespeare: CORIOLANUS
          > Livy: ROME AND THE MEDITERRANEAN (books XXXI-XLV)
          > Suetonius: THE TWELVE CAESARS
          > Scullard: FROM THE GRACCHI TO NERO
          > Mommsen: A HISTORY OF ROME UNDER THE EMPERORS
          > Christian Meier: CAESAR
          > Marcus Tullius Cicero: DE OFFICIIS (etext available online)
          > Arthur D. Kahn: THE EDUCATION OF JULIUS CAESAR
          > Erik Hildinger: SWORDS AGAINST THE SENATE
          > Edith Hamilton: THE ROMAN WAY
          >
          > Vicki
          > aka vlcroman

          To all:

          Please check your public library(s) for availability of the books listed.

          Irene
          Your Moderator and Chat Host