Re: Fiction Suggestions for Group

  • cinnacor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      --I read both Young Caesar and Imperial Caesar both are good books
      since Rex Warner had a background in Classics and translated some of
      Pluarch's lives. I think the ones that deal with Pompey, Caesar and
      Lucillius.
      Cinnacor

      - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "vlc2_sims" <vcline1@e...>
      wrote:
      > My library has several of the books recommended at the site below,
      > from the book "What Historical Novel Do I Read Next?" (1997) by
      > Daniel S. Burt.
      > http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/burtshistoricalfiction.html
      >
      > Some of the ones which don't seem to have been done already by the
      > group are, and which I haven't yet read (with indications of what
      > they're about) -
      >
      > The Coin Of Carthage (2nd Punic war) / Bryher, Winifred (1963)
      > Roman Wall / Bryher, Winifred (1954)
      > The Young Caesar / Warner, Rex (1958)
      > Imperial Caesar / Warner, Rex (1960)
      > The Roman (Nero) / Waltari, Mika (1966)
      > The Etruscan / Waltari, Mika (1956)
      > Three's Company (Lepidus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1958)
      > Family Favorites (Elagabalus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1960)
      >
      > Personally, I love Duggan's books, and have already read
      > Winter Quarters
      > The Little Emperors
      > Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf)
      >
      > So if anyone's interested in those I'd love to discuss them.
      >
      > I'd like to try Feuchtwanger's Josephus trilogy but my library only
      > has #2 and #3, although I could get #1 from the university.
      >
      > I also liked The Lost Legion by H. Warner Munn (1980), about
      looking
      > for the survivors of the battle of Carrae, even though it stretches
      > credulity by having a young woman join her husband as one of the
      > legionaries.
      >
      > Vicki
      > aka vlcroman
    • Vicki Cline
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        I was able to get used copies of a couple of Duggan's books fairly cheap
        over the Internet.

        I read Hersey's book, it was pretty good, about the Pisonian conspiracy
        against Nero, in the form of letters and dispatches among several
        characters.

        Those others look interesting.

        Vicki
        aka vlcroman