Fiction Suggestions for Group

  • vlc2_sims
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      My library has several of the books recommended at the site below,
      from the book "What Historical Novel Do I Read Next?" (1997) by
      Daniel S. Burt.
      http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/burtshistoricalfiction.html

      Some of the ones which don't seem to have been done already by the
      group are, and which I haven't yet read (with indications of what
      they're about) -

      The Coin Of Carthage (2nd Punic war) / Bryher, Winifred (1963)
      Roman Wall / Bryher, Winifred (1954)
      The Young Caesar / Warner, Rex (1958)
      Imperial Caesar / Warner, Rex (1960)
      The Roman (Nero) / Waltari, Mika (1966)
      The Etruscan / Waltari, Mika (1956)
      Three's Company (Lepidus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1958)
      Family Favorites (Elagabalus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1960)

      Personally, I love Duggan's books, and have already read
      Winter Quarters
      The Little Emperors
      Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf)

      So if anyone's interested in those I'd love to discuss them.

      I'd like to try Feuchtwanger's Josephus trilogy but my library only
      has #2 and #3, although I could get #1 from the university.

      I also liked The Lost Legion by H. Warner Munn (1980), about looking
      for the survivors of the battle of Carrae, even though it stretches
      credulity by having a young woman join her husband as one of the
      legionaries.

      Vicki
      aka vlcroman
    • Karen Mercedes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
        >My library has several of the books recommended at the site below,
        >from the book "What Historical Novel Do I Read Next?" (1997) by
        >Daniel S. Burt.
        >http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/burtshistoricalfiction.html
        >
        >Some of the ones which don't seem to have been done already by the
        >group are, and which I haven't yet read (with indications of what
        >they're about) -
        >
        >The Coin Of Carthage (2nd Punic war) / Bryher, Winifred (1963)
        >Roman Wall / Bryher, Winifred (1954)
        >The Young Caesar / Warner, Rex (1958)
        >Imperial Caesar / Warner, Rex (1960)
        >The Roman (Nero) / Waltari, Mika (1966)
        >The Etruscan / Waltari, Mika (1956)
        >Three's Company (Lepidus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1958)
        >Family Favorites (Elagabalus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1960)
        >
        >Personally, I love Duggan's books, and have already read
        >Winter Quarters
        >The Little Emperors
        >Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf)

        I too enjoy Duggan, but have only ever been able to find THE LITTLE EMPERORS from his Roman history series. (His mediaeval novel, KNIGHT WITH ARMOUR, is on my "to read soon" list.)

        I'm currently reading Dmitri Merejkowski's JULIAN THE APOSTATE, aka THE DEATH OF THE GODS. Trouble is, Merejkowski is even harder to find than Duggan!

        I'm particularly interested in Roman novels by "literary" authors. Have any of these yet been read and discussed on the list?:

        Gustave Flaubert: SALAMMBO (etext available online)
        Wilkie Collins: ANTONINA (etext available online)
        John Masefield: CONQUER; BASILISSA
        Robert Graves: COUNT BELISARIUS and LOST EAGLES (I'm presuming the CLAUDIUS
        novels have already been done here)
        Evelyn Waugh: HELENA
        William Golding: THE DOUBLE TONGUE
        John Hersey: THE CONSPIRACY
        Anthony Burgess: THE KINGDOM OF THE WICKED

        Finally...
        I have Christian Meier's CAESAR lined to be read next. Has this biography yet been discussed by the list?

        Karen Mercedes
      • cinnacor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
          --I read both Young Caesar and Imperial Caesar both are good books
          since Rex Warner had a background in Classics and translated some of
          Pluarch's lives. I think the ones that deal with Pompey, Caesar and
          Lucillius.
          Cinnacor

          - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "vlc2_sims" <vcline1@e...>
          wrote:
          > My library has several of the books recommended at the site below,
          > from the book "What Historical Novel Do I Read Next?" (1997) by
          > Daniel S. Burt.
          > http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/burtshistoricalfiction.html
          >
          > Some of the ones which don't seem to have been done already by the
          > group are, and which I haven't yet read (with indications of what
          > they're about) -
          >
          > The Coin Of Carthage (2nd Punic war) / Bryher, Winifred (1963)
          > Roman Wall / Bryher, Winifred (1954)
          > The Young Caesar / Warner, Rex (1958)
          > Imperial Caesar / Warner, Rex (1960)
          > The Roman (Nero) / Waltari, Mika (1966)
          > The Etruscan / Waltari, Mika (1956)
          > Three's Company (Lepidus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1958)
          > Family Favorites (Elagabalus) / Duggan, Alfred Leo (1960)
          >
          > Personally, I love Duggan's books, and have already read
          > Winter Quarters
          > The Little Emperors
          > Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf)
          >
          > So if anyone's interested in those I'd love to discuss them.
          >
          > I'd like to try Feuchtwanger's Josephus trilogy but my library only
          > has #2 and #3, although I could get #1 from the university.
          >
          > I also liked The Lost Legion by H. Warner Munn (1980), about
          looking
          > for the survivors of the battle of Carrae, even though it stretches
          > credulity by having a young woman join her husband as one of the
          > legionaries.
          >
          > Vicki
          > aka vlcroman
        • Vicki Cline
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
            I was able to get used copies of a couple of Duggan's books fairly cheap
            over the Internet.

            I read Hersey's book, it was pretty good, about the Pisonian conspiracy
            against Nero, in the form of letters and dispatches among several
            characters.

            Those others look interesting.

            Vicki
            aka vlcroman

[...]