Six part Empire on ABC

  • cinnacor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
      Another Roman drama by ABC. Most of it involved the year 40 BC, and
      Octavian is the main character along with a fictional servant. Starts
      tommorrow on ABC at 8:00 P.M pacific time. SO, look in your TV guide
      for your area.
      Cinc310
    • cinnacor
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "cinnacor" <Cinc310@a...>
        wrote:
        > Another Roman drama by ABC. Most of it involved the year 40 BC, and
        > Octavian is the main character along with a fictional servant.
        Starts
        > tommorrow on ABC at 8:00 P.M pacific time. SO, look in your TV
        guide
        > for your area.
        > Cinc310
        A lot of playing around with history but not bad as an action and
        adventure. One interesting point made is that Brutus mother Servila
        is mention about having an affair with Caesar. Her name is not given.
        Both Calpurnia and Cleopatra missing to fit the drama.
        Cicero was in this time.
        Cinnacor
      • Vicki Cline
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
          It was pretty good. I liked the casting, except that Octavius was way too
          pretty, and not that bright. It was kind of laughable that they had Cicero
          as Caesar's friend and defender - some line about "the Rome that we made."
          I wonder if they'll bring in Maecenas and Agrippa at some point.

          Vicki
          aka vlcroman

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
            Did you read Aulus' comments on the Ancient/Classical History forum?

            http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=4203&webtag=ab-ancienthist

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
              I agree with Aulus that there was a lot of playing arond with history
              to fit the storyline. Cicero's view of Caesar was too mild. But
              Cierco did favor Octavius as a balance against Mark Antony later on.
              I thought while the killing of Caesar was in the wrong place the
              Curia instead of Pompey's threatre. It was more accurate than Tnt's
              Caesar which did a post modern scene with Calpurinia at the end. As I
              say the best part was having Brutus's mother there in this series. Of
              Caesar's most famous women,this is the first time she had appeared on
              TV.
              Cinnacor

              --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn

            • Karen Mercedes
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
                I need to remedy an embarassing gap in my library.

                I'd love recommendations on the best translation of Caesar's Civil Wars and Gallic War.

                Also which translation of Livy do you recommend?

                Karen Mercedes