RE: [Roman_History_Books] Important Chat Information

  • Vicki Cline
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2005
      So, no chats in August? Do we know what we'll be discussing when we return
      in Sept., or will that be the first chat we have after hiatus? I have
      several non-fiction books I've bought but not had a chance to get to yet,
      and a couple fiction. Would this mailing list be a place to propose books?

      Vicki
      aka vlcroman

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2005
        Yes, this e-mail list indeed would be a good place to list suggestions.

        I was thinking, for example, of another spot of Livy, such as where we left off last time.

        As usual, we should alternate non-fiction with fiction.

        Member of Literature Reading Circle
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 18, 2005
          We just got back from vacation and I see the time change. It's fine with me.
          And "Judgment of Caesar" sounds great. See everyone at the next chat.

          Heloise/Beverly

          Beverly and Ian Jennings

          e-mail: bjennings3@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 20, 2005
            I just finished Simon Scarrow's UNDER THE EAGLE and wondered if anyone else has read it, and if so what they thought of it. Worthy of discussion on the list? Or has it already been discussed? (I'm new here.)

            Karen Mercedes
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
              We discussed the book earlier in the year. Mixed reviews.

              I personally feel that one has to suspend too much disbelief. One, Claudius appointing someone--freedman' son no less--without any experience in the army as an optio, and two, how our hero survives all these heroic episodes as a brand new soldier.

              Irene Hahn
              Webmaster, Volunteer Photo Archivist
              Stamford Historical Society (U.S.)
              http://www.stamfordhistory.org
              I just finished Simon Scarrow's UNDER THE EAGLE and wondered if anyone else has read it, and if so what they thought of it. Worthy of discussion on the list? Or has it already been discussed? (I'm new here.)

              Karen Mercedes

            • greg carroll
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
                I read the book;
                I felt much the same way as Irene, even though Optio was a rather minor rank, one might say akin to corporal today, in a military community as conservative, as rigid and as difficult to rise in as the Roman Army, I question not his surviving any adventures, I question his surviving his tentmates.
                The writing, was generally intended for an audience which has little or no background in Roman history other than what they have run into in an occasional movie, or a general history class. While not overly accurate, while not overly exciting, if the book interested one new person in roman or classical History, it was worth review, but not a second review.
                A book I found very similiar, but somewhat more interesting, which covered much the same period, was "The Centurians", which was a series beginning with the title book , that came out the same time as the Kent family chronicles, At the moment I can't remember the Author's name. I has been out of print for a while, but I have seen copies of all three books avaiable on Amazon.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
                  >We discussed the book earlier in the year. Mixed reviews.
                  >
                  >I personally feel that one has to suspend too much disbelief. One, Claudius appointing someone--freedman' son no less--without any experience in the army as an optio, and two, how our hero survives all these heroic episodes as a brand new soldier.

                  I tend to agree. A good page-turner for the beach perhaps? Even then, I think Alfred Duggan did the same sort of thing with much more finesse and historical integrity.
                  --

                  Karen Mercedes
                  dalila@...
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
                    Can I presume this list has already tackled Yourcenar's MEMOIRS OF HADRIAN, Wilder's THE IDES OF MARCH, Vidal's JULIAN, and Josephus' JEWISH WARS? If not, is there any interest in reading any of them?

                    More to the point, is there a FAQ that lists all the books you've already read, so one doesn't have to go back through the calendar month by month to try and figure it out?
                    --

                    Karen Mercedes
                    dalila@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
                      We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe. Same goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since 1995 when we started out on AOL.)

                      I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 21, 2005
                        Jewish wars is ok for me since I read a few books of it and I happen
                        to have a copy.
                        Cinnacor

                        - In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn
                        <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
                        > We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe.
                        Same goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since
                        1995 when we started out on AOL.)

                        > I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.
                        >
                        > Irene
                        >
                        > Roman History Reading Group
                        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
                        > Member of Literature Reading Circle
                        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
                        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
                        > http://ancienthistory.about.com/mpboards.htm

                        Service.

                      • Karen Mercedes
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 22, 2005
                          >We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe. Same goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since 1995 when we started out on AOL.)
                          >
                          >I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.
                          >
                          >Irene

                          I guess the same hesitation that disqualifies alternative history would also make one hesitate on magical realism? I'm thinking specifically of Mario de Carvalho's A GOD STROLLING IN THE COOL OF THE EVENING.

                          What about Josephus?

                          --

                          Karen Mercedes
                          dalila@...
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 22, 2005
                            There is a difference between "Ides of March" and "God Strolling..." (which we have also read in the past) IMO.

                            "God Strolling..." is a fictional story set within a historical time and place but without historical figures populating it.

                            "Ides of March" deliberately confuses time and place by putting the Bona Dea scandal in a totally wrong time frame.

                            Member of Literature Reading Circle
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/
                            >We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe. Same goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since 1995 when we started out on AOL.)
                            >
                            >I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.
                            >
                            >Irene

                            I guess the same hesitation that disqualifies alternative history would also make one hesitate on magical realism? I'm thinking specifically of Mario de Carvalho's A GOD STROLLING IN THE COOL OF THE EVENING.

                            What about Josephus?

                            --

                            Karen Mercedes
                            dalila@...
                            ---
                            It is a folly in a singer to grow vain at the
                            first applause without reflecting whether they
                            are given by chance or out of flattery; and if he
                            thinks he deserves them, there is an end of him.
                            - Pier Francesco Tosi

                          • Mary Harrsch
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 22, 2005
                              A friend highly recommended the "Ides of March" but I found the alternate
                              history/altered timeline too distracting for me since I was aware of the
                              real history and real timeline. I also found the book rather slow. Sorry,
                              Mr. Wilder!

                              Mary Harrsch
                              Network & Information Systems Manager
                              College of Education
                              University of Oregon
                              Eugene, OR 97403
                              (541) 346-3554

                              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

                              Editor
                              Roman Times
                              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

                              "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius Maximus

                              >We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe. Same
                              goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since 1995 when we
                              started out on AOL.)

                              >I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.
                              >
                              >Irene

                              I guess the same hesitation that disqualifies alternative history would
                              also make one hesitate on magical realism? I'm thinking specifically of
                              Mario de Carvalho's A GOD STROLLING IN THE COOL OF THE EVENING.

                              What about Josephus?

                              --

                              Karen Mercedes
                              dalila@...
                              ---
                              It is a folly in a singer to grow vain at the
                              first applause without reflecting whether they
                              are given by chance or out of flattery; and if he
                              thinks he deserves them, there is an end of him.
                              - Pier Francesco Tosi

                              _____

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • bingleyausten
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 22, 2005
                                <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
                                > We did Memoirs of Hadrian, but before the current crowd, I believe.
                                Same goes for "Julian". (This chat has had a varied membership since
                                1995 when we started out on AOL.)

                                > I'd hesitate on "Ides of March" as it is alternative history.
                                >
                                > Irene

                                I actually have a copy of Julian, so that would be good for me. If we
                                did Memoirs of Hadrian, I'd appreciate lots of warning so that I can
                                have a go at reading it in French (a friend of mine here is a lecturer
                                in French and linguistics so she could probably get hold of it for me).
                                I suspect I'd have to go online for Josephus.

                                Sitting in my to be read pile for our time-frame, I've got Suetonius,
                                Scullard's "From the Gracchi To Nero", and Momsen's "A History of Rome
                                Under the Emperors".
                              • lennep95
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 23, 2005

                                  > More to the point, is there a FAQ that lists all the books you've
                                  already read, so one doesn't have to go back through the calendar
                                  month by month to try and figure it out?
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Karen Mercedes

                                  We don't have a list of prior reads, but I could recreate it.

                                  There is much that the group has read in the past but not the current
                                  membership.

                                  I will have something up in a week or so.

                                  I will also create a list of current suggestions.

                                  Irene
                                • vlc2_sims
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                                    --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Karen Mercedes
                                    <dalila@R...> wrote:
                                    > I just finished Simon Scarrow's UNDER THE EAGLE and wondered if
                                    anyone else has read it, and if so what they thought of it. Worthy of
                                    discussion on the list? Or has it already been discussed? (I'm new
                                    here.)

                                    > Karen Mercedes

                                    Yes, I read it and liked it, and the sequel also. Not great
                                    literature, but I became fond of Optio Cato, although Vitellius was too
                                    much of a stock villain. I'll be reading #3 when I get a chance. They
                                    struck me as something an adolescent boy might like (which I'm
                                    definitely not!).

                                    Vicki
                                    aka vlcroman
                                  • Ba Qua
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
                                      My husband bought the Scarrow books ages ago and I despised them as
                                      inaccurate, I eventually read one in desperation for something to read and
                                      have since gobbled up the whole series and am waiting for the latest to come
                                      out in hardback in August. Not great literature, not particularly accurate,
                                      but a jolly good read.
                                      Ba.