Transcript of Wednesday's Chat - Availability of Livy Texts

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2000
      Hello! We had our first Livy chat on Wednesday. It turned out later that some
      members couldn't get into the chat room. If any of the rest of you had the
      same problem, please e-mail me at IrenesBooks@....

      1. Attached is the edited transcript of Wednesday's chat in WORD 6.0/95
      format. Under "edited", I mean that I usually try to keep trains of thought
      together, spell-check the thing, and -- potentially -- edit out personal
      information exchanged between members, depending on what it is, to protect
      their privacy.

      As to downloading the file, rest assured that I have Norton Antivirus on my
      PC and do update it when prompted.

      2. The question came up how much of Livy is available, and I checked it
      later: amazon.com, abebooks.com, and the Connecticut interlibrary system. It
      seems that most Livy books are available in print somewhere, however usually
      not as paperback, except the one we are currently reading and "Rome and
      Italy", which comprises Books VI through X.

      As to online e-texts, Livy in English translation, I have found Volumes I - X
      so far, with I - VI the only manageable ones. The latter group's links you
      will find on my website http://members.xoom.com/placida/l_etexts.htm , the
      former is at Perseus in a rather awkward format.

      Hope to see more of you at the next chat, Wednesday, February 1.

    • L. Cornelius Sulla
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2000
        Could you please post the attachment....They were not included. :)

        Robert
        aka Lucius Cornelius Sulla
        www.novaroma.org