Rosemary Sutcliff

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      Lately, I have been reading and throughly enjoying the novels of Rosemary
      Sutcliff, "The Silver Branch", about the usurption of Alectis in Roman
      Britain, and "The Lantern Bearers", about the struggle between the Saxons
      and Britains following the removal of the Roman legions from Britain.
      Although these books are marketed as young adult fiction, I find them every
      bit as fascinating as many of the adult historical fiction novels I have
      read. Tomorrow I will start "The Shining Company".

      I found a BBC dramatization of "The Eagle of the Ninth" on Ebay and enjoyed
      it as well. Now I'm looking for the unabridged version on audio cassette.

      Another wonderful surprise this week, I found that Audible.com is offering
      Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco mystery "The Accusers". Audible
      (http://www.audible.com ) offers audiobooks for download. They can be
      downloaded to an MP3 player or burned to CD. I like the burn to CD option
      so I can play them in my car's CD player on my commute. I have a light
      listener subscription for less than $20 per month that lets me download two
      books, regardless of the length or their regular retail cost. For example,
      this month I selected the unabridged "The Accusers" that normally costs
      $43.96 and the unabridged Elizabeth Peters Egyptian archaeology mystery, "He
      Shall Thunder in the Sky" that normally costs $37.77. I just noticed that
      Caroline Lawrence's young adult mystery "Thieves of Ostia" has also been
      added to the offerings under historical mysteries.

      Mary Harrsch
      Network & Information Systems Manager
      College of Education
      University of Oregon
      Eugene, OR 97403
      (541) 346-3554

      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

      Editor
      Roman Times
      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

      "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius Maximus