RE: [Roman_History_Books] Augustan History

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      Greg, I would also recommend Robert Graves "I, Claudius". As for Massie, I
      didn't particularly care for his profuse use of modern slang.

      Mary Harrsch
      Network & Information Systems Manager
      College of Education
      University of Oregon
      Eugene, OR 97403
      (541) 346-3554

      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

      Editor
      Roman Times
      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

      "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius Maximus

      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2005
        --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "gregyoungblood"
        <gregyoungblood@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am deciding on the best books to read on the Augustan period,
        > particularly post Julius Caesar - non-fiction but also historical
        > fiction (not ashamed to admit I enjoy it!).
        >
        > Here is what I'm considering, based on a reading list I've seen and
        > noodling around on Amazon:
        >
        > Augustus; Pat Southern
        > Augustus; John Williams (fiction)
        > Augustus; Allan Massie (fiction)
        >
        > I've already read and enjoyed McCullough's October Horse.
        >
        > Any feedback or suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Greg

        I liked the one by Williams. It's in the form of letters and journal
        entries by Augustus, Agrippa, Maecenas and Julia, and some others. I
        don't know enough about the actual history to say whether it's
        accurate, but it's a good read.

        Vicki
        aka vlcroman