Augustan History

  • gregyoungblood
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      Hi,

      I am deciding on the best books to read on the Augustan period,
      particularly post Julius Caesar - non-fiction but also historical
      fiction (not ashamed to admit I enjoy it!).

      Here is what I'm considering, based on a reading list I've seen and
      noodling around on Amazon:

      Augustus; Pat Southern
      Augustus; John Williams (fiction)
      Augustus; Allan Massie (fiction)

      I've already read and enjoyed McCullough's October Horse.

      Any feedback or suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Greg
    • Mary Harrsch
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2005
        Greg, I would also recommend Robert Graves "I, Claudius". As for Massie, I
        didn't particularly care for his profuse use of modern slang.

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR 97403
        (541) 346-3554

        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

        Editor
        Roman Times
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

        "What we do in life echoes through eternity" - Decimus Meridius Maximus

        I am deciding on the best books to read on the Augustan period,
        particularly post Julius Caesar - non-fiction but also historical
        fiction (not ashamed to admit I enjoy it!).

        Here is what I'm considering, based on a reading list I've seen and
        noodling around on Amazon:

        Augustus; Pat Southern
        Augustus; John Williams (fiction)
        Augustus; Allan Massie (fiction)

        I've already read and enjoyed McCullough's October Horse.

        Any feedback or suggestions?

        Thanks,
        Greg

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • vlc2_sims
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2005
          --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "gregyoungblood"
          <gregyoungblood@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am deciding on the best books to read on the Augustan period,
          > particularly post Julius Caesar - non-fiction but also historical
          > fiction (not ashamed to admit I enjoy it!).
          >
          > Here is what I'm considering, based on a reading list I've seen and
          > noodling around on Amazon:
          >
          > Augustus; Pat Southern
          > Augustus; John Williams (fiction)
          > Augustus; Allan Massie (fiction)
          >
          > I've already read and enjoyed McCullough's October Horse.
          >
          > Any feedback or suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Greg

          I liked the one by Williams. It's in the form of letters and journal
          entries by Augustus, Agrippa, Maecenas and Julia, and some others. I
          don't know enough about the actual history to say whether it's
          accurate, but it's a good read.

          Vicki
          aka vlcroman