Livy, T.J.Cornell

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13 4:18 PM
      (For the book chat on Wednesday, I tentatively suggest we discuss Books I &
      II of Livy, let's see how far we'll get -- we have all the time in the world.)

      In the quest for background information, I'm reading right now T.J. Cornell:
      "The Beginnings of Rome, From the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars".

      For me, it's fascinating reading:

      1. The book has an interesting introduction called "The Evidence", which
      discusses at length the reliability of the written sources as well as the
      interpretation of archaeological material, their controversial aspects and
      the complex issues raised. Here is a list of subchapters, just to give you an
      idea: http://members.xoom.com/placida/cornell.htm .

      2. As he goes through the history of Rome, Cornell examines current and
      recent theories: He describes a specific theory, looks at it from various
      angles, and then either accepts it, puts holes into it, or discards it
      altogether. But the way he does it, it does not confuse the reader -- and I
      consider myself an average reader...

      As in so many other academic disciplines, there seems to be a war raging as
      to what is revisionist and what not, and it seems to be tough to keep things
      in perspetive. One of the things we have discussed in the past is whether or
      not one can examine and write on history from today's perspective.

      Comments are invited.

      See you Wednesday evening...

      Irene
      http://members.xoom.com/placida/
    • Zhonu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13 5:08 PM
        Dear Irene:
        I noticed with appreciation your kind note as the 'last farewell' on AOL;
        and now your intial post on Roman_History_books. I've already started Livy
        and I hope to be prepared for Wednesday.

        Chria Mortimer