Book Chats: Amended List, please comment

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
      We created a preliminary list in last week's chat. However, the dates for "Catullus & His World" were dependent on the availability of a member. It turns out that she cannot attend those particular chats until after May 14.

      Accordingly, I have created an amended list. Please comment:

      January 19: Germanicus Mosaic (the first in the Libertus mystery series, by Rosemary Rowe)

      February 2 & 16: Augustus (by Dio Cassius & Suetonius)

      March 2: Silver Pigs (the first in the Falco mystery series, by Lindsey Davis)

      March 16 & April 6: The Course of Honor (biographical novel about Caenis, mistress of Vespasian, by Lindsey Davis) / Tacitus (era of Vespasian)

      April 20: Under Eagle (the first in a series about military life--and political intrigues--under Claudius, by Simon Scarrow)

      May 4: Something by Cicero that we can discuss in one chat?

      May 18, June 1 & 15: Catullus & His World -- a Reappraisal (by T.P. Wiseman)

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
        On second thought, we should read "Silver Pigs" in tandem with "Shadows in Bronze" (the sequel), because the mystery is not fully solved until the end of the second book.

        So maybe we should reserve March 2 & 16 for that, and leave either "Course of Honor" or "Under theEagle" for a later chat--unless you think we can discuss both above Falco books in one sitting.

      • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
          It sounds like a good plan for our spring reading. I have read Silver Pigs but it's been a long while. I vote for having a separate chat for "Silver Pigs" and "Shadows in Bronze."

          Heloise

          Beverly and Ian Jennings

          e-mail: bjennings3@...

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor