RE: [Roman_History_Books] Books and Chats, please respond

  • Vicki Cline
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
      Irene, I have read all of the books by Rosemary Rowe and they are quite
      enjoyable, not as good as Saylor, but who is. Once Saylor's "Judgment of
      Caesar" is out in paperback, I hope we'll do that one.

      I've gotten a few good ones at my library, here they are -

      The Lost Legion by H. Warner Munn - about a legion looking for the survivors
      from Carrhae
      Second Act by Marilyn Todd - this is a mystery in a series but I can't find
      the earlier ones
      Winter Quarters by Alfred Duggan - I think you said you didn't care for
      Duggan, but I'll throw it out again
      Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf) by Alfred Duggan - this is one
      of my favorites

      Others my library has but I haven't gotten to them yet -

      The Roman by Mika Waltari - set during Nero's reign
      The Love-Artist by Alison Jane - about Ovid
      The Course Of Honor by Lindsey Davis - which you recommended about Vespasian
      The Young Caesar or Imperial Caesar by Rex Warner
      Three's Company by Aflred Duggan - about M. Aemilius Lepidus before, during
      and after the Second Triumvirate, one of Duggan's most highly regarded
      novels

      No suggestions on non-fiction, but I do have copies of Suetonius, Sallust
      and Cassius Dio.

      Vicki
      aka vlcroman

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
        I buy the Rosemary Rowe books--I started ordering them from the uk. As for
        Marilyn Todd, I ordered those from the UK, she's only just now available over
        here. I had looked for her first, which was out of print (all the others seem to
        still be in print in the uk) but it always seemed to be $75 on ebay. So I did
        one of those abebooks searches online and found it in the uk used for $20.
        LOL. I don't know about the accuracy of her books, but I just love the
        character. Another, though not readily available in the US, is David Wishart. I usually
        order those from the uk online as well.

        Now one mystery author that might be available in the libraries is John
        Maddox Roberts. His spqr series is enjoyable and seems fairly accurate, but then
        I'm no classics scholar or ancient history expert by any means. His sleuth is
        the son of a senator that keeps getting into scrapes. I think the series is up
        to 8 books and some of them are in my library and I've found them discounted on
        amazon and ebay, and most are in paperback now. With interlibrary loan, they
        might be something interesting for fiction.

        I have to think more on what else--I've been on an ancient Roman mystery kick
        ever since I discovered Stephen Saylor. I can't wait for his latest, which
        will be several years in the works. From what he told me last year when I talked
        to him at a book festival, it's more of an epic and covers quite a bit of
        time of ancient Rome. It sounded fascinating. That will be one that we may want
        to do--it might be something that libraries will order! I hope so anyway.

        Pam (who still can't figure out a good Roman name--Pamius just doesn't cut
        it!)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2004
          Re: Steven Saylor:

          Here are his latest plans re Gordianus: "Is the Roma Sub Rosa series finished? Have readers seen the last of Gordianus? Absolutely not!"

          http://www.stevensaylor.com/Hwood_Texas.html#anchor2841616

          I have my hesitations though about " ROMA: The Novel of Rome." The comparison to Michener scares me. <grin>

          As to John Maddox Roberts, I hope you join us discussing "The Catiline Conspiracy" on Decemeber 15.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2004
            Hi Everyone,

            I just looked at Steven Saylor's website and he has a long list of books, both fiction and non-fiction. Has anyone read Simon Scarrow's books? I haven't but I looked at them on Amazon. Also, there is George Shipway's "Imperial Governor" - about Boudicca's revolt. There is William Altimari's "Legion" - soldiers at a fort in Gaul in the first century. I have read Jack Whyte's "Camulodum" series and think the first two books are excellent - about the last days of the legions in Britain and how a couple of Roman/Britons decide to cope with it.
            As for non-fiction - have we ever read any Gibbon? Or how about a biography? There is always Suetonius' "Twelve Caesars."
            Just some thoughts to throw out to the group.
            Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

            Beverly (Heloise1066)