Books and Chats, please respond

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2004
      Heius!

      Number One, I have added the mysteries by Rosemary Rowe to my booklist http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#rowe

      They are all paperback editions. I have not read them yet myself, but they have been recommended by several people. I've ordered "Gemanicus Mosaic," the first in the series to see what it's all about.

      Number Two, we have soon to decide what to read beginning January, and I will entertain suggestions.

      Maybe we should pick about three books to carry us through spring.

      One caveat: Not everyone has the means to buy books a-plenty, especially new hardcovers, so we might exclude new fiction. Ideally, the book should be available in the public libraries, and thanks to the inter-library loan service, books can be had more easily than in the past. Also, there are various used-book seller on the web, most notably, besides Amazon.com, http://www.abebooks.com/

      Also, if you want to look a my reading list in a more chronologically structured format, go to
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1.htm

      Member of Literature Reading Circle
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle/

    • Vicki Cline
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
        Irene, I have read all of the books by Rosemary Rowe and they are quite
        enjoyable, not as good as Saylor, but who is. Once Saylor's "Judgment of
        Caesar" is out in paperback, I hope we'll do that one.

        I've gotten a few good ones at my library, here they are -

        The Lost Legion by H. Warner Munn - about a legion looking for the survivors
        from Carrhae
        Second Act by Marilyn Todd - this is a mystery in a series but I can't find
        the earlier ones
        Winter Quarters by Alfred Duggan - I think you said you didn't care for
        Duggan, but I'll throw it out again
        Founding Fathers (aka Children of the Wolf) by Alfred Duggan - this is one
        of my favorites

        Others my library has but I haven't gotten to them yet -

        The Roman by Mika Waltari - set during Nero's reign
        The Love-Artist by Alison Jane - about Ovid
        The Course Of Honor by Lindsey Davis - which you recommended about Vespasian
        The Young Caesar or Imperial Caesar by Rex Warner
        Three's Company by Aflred Duggan - about M. Aemilius Lepidus before, during
        and after the Second Triumvirate, one of Duggan's most highly regarded
        novels

        No suggestions on non-fiction, but I do have copies of Suetonius, Sallust
        and Cassius Dio.

        Vicki
        aka vlcroman

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
          I buy the Rosemary Rowe books--I started ordering them from the uk. As for
          Marilyn Todd, I ordered those from the UK, she's only just now available over
          here. I had looked for her first, which was out of print (all the others seem to
          still be in print in the uk) but it always seemed to be $75 on ebay. So I did
          one of those abebooks searches online and found it in the uk used for $20.
          LOL. I don't know about the accuracy of her books, but I just love the
          character. Another, though not readily available in the US, is David Wishart. I usually
          order those from the uk online as well.

          Now one mystery author that might be available in the libraries is John
          Maddox Roberts. His spqr series is enjoyable and seems fairly accurate, but then
          I'm no classics scholar or ancient history expert by any means. His sleuth is
          the son of a senator that keeps getting into scrapes. I think the series is up
          to 8 books and some of them are in my library and I've found them discounted on
          amazon and ebay, and most are in paperback now. With interlibrary loan, they
          might be something interesting for fiction.

          I have to think more on what else--I've been on an ancient Roman mystery kick
          ever since I discovered Stephen Saylor. I can't wait for his latest, which
          will be several years in the works. From what he told me last year when I talked
          to him at a book festival, it's more of an epic and covers quite a bit of
          time of ancient Rome. It sounded fascinating. That will be one that we may want
          to do--it might be something that libraries will order! I hope so anyway.

          Pam (who still can't figure out a good Roman name--Pamius just doesn't cut
          it!)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2004
            Re: Steven Saylor:

            Here are his latest plans re Gordianus: "Is the Roma Sub Rosa series finished? Have readers seen the last of Gordianus? Absolutely not!"

            http://www.stevensaylor.com/Hwood_Texas.html#anchor2841616

            I have my hesitations though about " ROMA: The Novel of Rome." The comparison to Michener scares me. <grin>

            As to John Maddox Roberts, I hope you join us discussing "The Catiline Conspiracy" on Decemeber 15.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2004
              Hi Everyone,

              I just looked at Steven Saylor's website and he has a long list of books, both fiction and non-fiction. Has anyone read Simon Scarrow's books? I haven't but I looked at them on Amazon. Also, there is George Shipway's "Imperial Governor" - about Boudicca's revolt. There is William Altimari's "Legion" - soldiers at a fort in Gaul in the first century. I have read Jack Whyte's "Camulodum" series and think the first two books are excellent - about the last days of the legions in Britain and how a couple of Roman/Britons decide to cope with it.
              As for non-fiction - have we ever read any Gibbon? Or how about a biography? There is always Suetonius' "Twelve Caesars."
              Just some thoughts to throw out to the group.
              Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

              Beverly (Heloise1066)