Re: [Roman_History_Books] Getting Started

  • Vicki Cline
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
      Oops! You are so right! I keep forgetting (or blocking) that. It just sounds so weird. Sorry for the mistake.

      What's the difference between vadis and is? Don't they both mean "you go/are going"?

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
        Hi Vicki,

        Read the obituary of Michael Grant
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/08/db0801.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/10/08/ixportal.html

        I quote: "When discussing the novel Quo Vadis - which took its title from the reputed words of the resurrected Christ to St Peter - he commented: "A classical Roman would have said Quo Is. What a pity that our Lord spoke such late and inferior Latin." "

        though I think it was St. Peter asking Jesus "Where ya going?"

        Shal

        Vicki Cline <vcline1@...> wrote:
        Oops! You are so right! I keep forgetting (or blocking) that. It just sounds so weird. Sorry for the mistake.

        What's the difference between vadis and is? Don't they both mean "you go/are going"?

        I am new to the group and recently someone asked how does one get started here. I am glad that was asked as I was wondering that myself. I love ancient Roman and Greek history but sometimes my reading is slow going because I have seven children that I homeschool. I am presently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I do have a question maybe someone here can answer. How is this word pronounced? "Quo Vadis" ?? I have always wondered that. This is probably a very silly question but if anyone can help answer this I will be grateful. My name is Michelle and I am enjoying reading the posts here.

        Michelle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor