Re: [Roman_History_Books] Getting Started

  • Ancientworldbooks
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
      In republican and early imperial Rome 'v' was pronounced like 'w' . Just a side note: Quo Vadis is bad Latin: He should have said Quo Is?

      Just my two bits

      Vicki Cline <vcline1@...> wrote:
      I will take a stab at this, although my Latin pronunciation is rudimentary. "Quo" rhymes with "go" and "vadis" would be vah-diss, with the emphasis on the first syllable. Or perhaps vah-deess, if the I is long. There are a few Internet sites where people read Latin, but I can't lay my hands on them right now.

      Seven children to homeschool! Someone should give you a teaching credential.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
        Oops! You are so right! I keep forgetting (or blocking) that. It just sounds so weird. Sorry for the mistake.

        What's the difference between vadis and is? Don't they both mean "you go/are going"?

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
          Hi Vicki,

          Read the obituary of Michael Grant
          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/08/db0801.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/10/08/ixportal.html

          I quote: "When discussing the novel Quo Vadis - which took its title from the reputed words of the resurrected Christ to St Peter - he commented: "A classical Roman would have said Quo Is. What a pity that our Lord spoke such late and inferior Latin." "

          though I think it was St. Peter asking Jesus "Where ya going?"

          Shal