Getting Started

  • Mark-Michelle Branson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
      I am new to the group and recently someone asked how does one get started here. I am glad that was asked as I was wondering that myself. I love ancient Roman and Greek history but sometimes my reading is slow going because I have seven children that I homeschool. I am presently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I do have a question maybe someone here can answer. How is this word pronounced? "Quo Vadis" ?? I have always wondered that. This is probably a very silly question but if anyone can help answer this I will be grateful. My name is Michelle and I am enjoying reading the posts here.

      Michelle

    • Vicki Cline
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
        I will take a stab at this, although my Latin pronunciation is rudimentary. "Quo" rhymes with "go" and "vadis" would be vah-diss, with the emphasis on the first syllable. Or perhaps vah-deess, if the I is long. There are a few Internet sites where people read Latin, but I can't lay my hands on them right now.

        Seven children to homeschool! Someone should give you a teaching credential.

        I am new to the group and recently someone asked how does one get started here. I am glad that was asked as I was wondering that myself. I love ancient Roman and Greek history but sometimes my reading is slow going because I have seven children that I homeschool. I am presently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. I do have a question maybe someone here can answer. How is this word pronounced? "Quo Vadis" ?? I have always wondered that. This is probably a very silly question but if anyone can help answer this I will be grateful. My name is Michelle and I am enjoying reading the posts here.

        Michelle
      • Ancientworldbooks
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
          In republican and early imperial Rome 'v' was pronounced like 'w' . Just a side note: Quo Vadis is bad Latin: He should have said Quo Is?

          Just my two bits

          Vicki Cline <vcline1@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Vicki Cline
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
            Oops! You are so right! I keep forgetting (or blocking) that. It just sounds so weird. Sorry for the mistake.

            What's the difference between vadis and is? Don't they both mean "you go/are going"?

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
              Hi Vicki,

              Read the obituary of Michael Grant
              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/08/db0801.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/10/08/ixportal.html

              I quote: "When discussing the novel Quo Vadis - which took its title from the reputed words of the resurrected Christ to St Peter - he commented: "A classical Roman would have said Quo Is. What a pity that our Lord spoke such late and inferior Latin." "

              though I think it was St. Peter asking Jesus "Where ya going?"

              Shal